30/30 Win vs. 32 Win Spl

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by howlnmad, Aug 8, 2020.

1. howlnmad

howlnmad Old Guy Doing Things Moderator Supporting Member

Can someone explain the difference? Is one the parent case to the other? I picked up a few 32 Win Spl today and they sure do look similar. Can one be resized to the other? Sorry for all the stupid questions, I've just been learning a lot the last few days.

2. grcsat

grcsat Well-Known Member

The 30-30 is the parent case of the 32 spl.
    The 30-30 bullet is .308 while the 32spl is .321. ( I think :))
    The story I was told was that the 32 spl was a marketing ploy to up sales , stating that it was easy to reload with black powder hoping to capture the "old timers" who did not trust smokeless powder. I think it was a bit of a flop.

3. Firpo

Firpo Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Howln, I think the 30-30 is it’s parent cartridge and I suppose you could neck it back down and give things a trim. Like to know what the pros think.

4. grcsat

grcsat Well-Known Member

I thought the 38-55 (1884 ) was the parent case of the 30-30 (1894 ).

5. Grizzley1

Grizzley1 Well-Known Member

grcsat has the right of it, it was marketed to shooters who had stocks of black powder to reload with.

The .32 WS had a slower twist rate than the .30-30 in order to shoot well with black powder and cast bullets. My brother in law had an 1894 rifle in .32 WS

grcsat, the .38-55 is the parent case to the .30-30 so I guess it would be the grand parent case to the .32 WS. :)

6. pdkfishing

pdkfishing Well-Known Member Supporting Member

My copy of COTW says the 22 Savage HP is based on the 25-35, which is pretty routinely formed from 30-30 brass, which is based on the 38-55. So is the 38-55 the great grandparent of the 22 Savage?:D:D:D

7. howlnmad

Thanks everyone. I guess I'm going to have to invest in a copy of COTW.

8. pdkfishing

pdkfishing Well-Known Member Supporting Member

IMHO a must have for anybody interested in shooting or handloading, particularly with less than commonly encountered cartridges. Very entertaining reading at the very least. :thumbsup:

9. howlnmad

I guess so. I've never really dealt with the older stuff, just what folks consider reforming modern cases. It is definitely interesting.

10. Old Stony

Old Stony Active Member

Is think the .32 special was sort of pushed as more of a target cartridge than the 30/30. They are both easy to size back and forth as the brass will work for either. I am under the impression that the 32/40 was designed as a black powder cartridge and was also chambered for the 94 Winchester. It can also be reformed from a 30/30, but I think the brass is just slightly shorter. It can be reformed and can be made to perform just fine.

joe45c, mudman35962, grcsat and 2 others like this.
  11. shootbrownelk

shootbrownelk Well-Known Member

I have my father's Winchester 1894 in .32 special. I did have a Marlin 336 at one time, the .32 was more accurate using iron sights than the Marlin 30.30 was at 100 yds.

mudman35962 and howlnmad like this.
  12. howlnmad

I guess what really threw me off was that he had a box of what looks like new cartridges and half of it was 30-30 accelerators and the other half was 32 WS. I hope someone wasn't trying to fire them from the same rifle.

13. sharps4590

sharps4590 Well-Known Member

gr and Griz have "the right of it", to quote Griz and, that the 38-55 Winchester was the parent. There was two 38-55's though the difference was slight. Length difference is what I remember....and of course the myriad of factory loads put up back then.

COTW is a good reference....a GREAT reference for American cartridges. One has to do a little more digging when they get into some European cartridges. It isn't that Frank Barnes was falsely reporting data when he first published the book. It is that so much more is known about those cartridges today than back then. That and not all the info hasn't been updated. I do know they work on updating it as time an editions allow. If I may be bold as to toot my own horn, COTW published my work on three German cartridges.

14. howlnmad

Now I definitely have to get a copy.

15. grcsat

grcsat Well-Known Member

I once worked on a 35-30-30 Winchester Mod 1894.
    None of us could figure out what it really was until the Winchester Rep. explained to us that the barrel had been shot out and rebored to 35 calibur. Aperiently this was very common at the turn of the century. And at one time Winchester was thinking about making the 35-30-30 a factory cartridge. But as we all know, they never did.