The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
A google search of "30-36" does bring up a few hits. In all the links, I can't find a pic and in the descriptions, it looks like they are considering it as a 30.06 caliber.

·
Registered
451 Posts
LOL... Well, I did find a link to an old auction with pics of this rifle. Google "Winchester BAIC Model 1895 30-36 Caliber" without the " " and follow that to an auction link. For some reason, the forum won't allow the active link. Posted it twice.

·
Registered
18,161 Posts
There are several European cartridges using a 9.3mm bullet. That is .366. If I were to take a 9.3 x 74, and neck it down to 30 caliber, I could easily see calling my new wildcat a 30/36.

But as for a commercial caliber? There's no such thing. Where it does pop up on a web-search, it is a typo. Like that gun at Cabelas, that you linked to. Up at the top of the page it says it's a 30/36. Down at the bottom of the page, in the specifications, it says 30/06.

·
Registered
2,908 Posts

NO RESERVE!! You are bidding on a Winchester Model 1895 Rifle. .30-36 caliber, 24 inch barrel, blue action, box magazine, straight grip stock, Lyman peep sight. Bore is in excellent condition. Receiver and barrel retains about 30 of their bluing, stock and forearm are in 90% condition

·
Registered
451 Posts
I thought it was typo, too. But, if you search Winchester model 1895... you'll find they all contain the same typo. It looks like this may have been manufactured as a caliber in its own right, very close to the 30.06. Possibly an off-shoot of, or even a predecessor to?

·
Registered
451 Posts
Hard to say. A couple of the search links go to the same page. This page is even coming up in a google search now.
Put it this way... Until this thread, I've never heard of a caliber 30-36.

·
Registered
7,418 Posts
I thought it was typo, too. But, if you search Winchester model 1895... you'll find they all contain the same typo. It looks like this may have been manufactured as a caliber in its own right, very close to the 30.06. Possibly an off-shoot of, or even a predecessor to?
Calibers for the 1895 were.
.30-40 Krag
7.62×54mmR
.303 British
.30-03
.30-06 Springfield
.35 WCF
.38-72 WCF
.40-72 WCF
.405 Winchester

The 30-03 was the forerunner of the 30-06.
I bet he has a 30-06.

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
Well, this is one of those things that I will never say never, but I will be dog gone if I can find any references or information to such a cartridge labeled as such:eek:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.