The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a little help. I just received my grandfathers 30/40 Krag 1898. It is in great condition but my question is about the trigger. When I grab the trigger and pull downwards it moves. When I release it, it springs back up. Do I have a problem here? Thanks

·
Registered
8,432 Posts
Looking for a little help. I just received my grandfathers 30/40 Krag 1898. It is in great condition but my question is about the trigger. When I grab the trigger and pull downwards it moves. When I release it, it springs back up. Do I have a problem here? Thanks
Welcome to TFF.

I just went to the safe and pulled out my 1896 Krag rifle. There is NO vertical movement in the trigger - even if I pull down on it - cocked or uncocked.

You need to disassemble the rifle and look at the trigger and the trigger pin. The hole in the trigger that accepts the trigger pin may be elongated, or the trigger and/or sear itself may be worn or have been modified in the past in an attempt to 'improve' the trigger pull.. Parts are still available from Numrich Gun Parts (West Hurley New York).

These rifles are very old, and it may be a good idea to have the bolt and receiver magnafluxed by a good gunsmith to check for hairline cracks before firing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to TFF.

I just went to the safe and pulled out my 1896 Krag rifle. There is NO vertical movement in the trigger - even if I pull down on it - cocked or uncocked.

You need to disassemble the rifle and look at the trigger and the trigger pin. The hole in the trigger that accepts the trigger pin may be elongated, or the trigger and/or sear itself may be worn or have been modified in the past in an attempt to 'improve' the trigger pull.. Parts are still available from Numrich Gun Parts (West Hurley New York).

These rifles are very old, and it may be a good idea to have the bolt and receiver magnafluxed by a good gunsmith to check for hairline cracks before firing.
Thanks Jim, I will do that.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts