The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
17,770 Posts
I like it. It's not as long-range as the ought six, but it'll take anything on this continent. And the guns it comes in are nice, too.

·
Super Moderator
30,474 Posts
I love mine although I don't shoot it as much as I'd like.

·
Registered
10,057 Posts
In a gun like the Ruger No. 1 or No. 3 in 30-40 Krag you probably could load them hot enough to nearly match 308 or 30-06 because the guns are strong enough for that. But I would never recommend that and most certainly not in any lever gun like the Winchester Model 1895 or single shot guns that are lesser than the Ruger single shots. It is always best to stay within the load levels in most reloading manuals.

LDBennett

·
Registered
410 Posts
The cartridge is interesting...the guns chambered for it are even more interesting than the cartridge.

The Spanish with their 7mm Mausers had a clear advantage over our guys in the Spanish American War.

They lost...but they had the superior small arm....:confused:

A lesson to be learned here...

·
Banned
772 Posts
There was more to the war than Cuba. The Spainish lost the war at sea to the American Navy. The choice of small arms had nothing to do with the out come of the 6 Mos. war.:)

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
This is a nice round, in the older Krag rifles a 168 gr. bullet at +-2000 fps is a nice hunting load for deer size game. If you have a newer action you can load to the 30-06 or .308 levels so the cartridge is very flexible.

·
Registered
10,057 Posts
Be careful about hot 30-40 Krag loads in old guns. Modern guns like the Ruger No. 1 or 3 may be OK. While the modern Browning 1895 lever is a modern gun and it also comes in 30-06, it is a toss up for hot loads in it. These Brownings are too valuable and too beautiful to risk and I'll not be loading hot loads in mine. If I want 30-06 or 308 power levels then I'll just use a gun made and marked for those cartridges, not hot loaded 30-40 Krag guns.

Many a deer has been brought down with 30-30's and 30-40 Krage matches or exceed the power level of the 30-30. So even for hunting there is no reason to use hot loads in 30-40 Krag.

But we all get to choose. If you do run hot loads through a 30-40 Krag gun and it or you get damaged then don't say you were not warned.

LDBennett

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Most are found to be sporterized, but there is nothing wrong with that other than historical value. If you like the gun, get it and enjoy it!

I have one, but have never shot it. I bought it from a friend that needed cash, cleaned it and put it away.. the smoothest action I've ever seen!

·
Registered
17,770 Posts
This is a nice round, in the older Krag rifles a 168 gr. bullet at +-2000 fps is a nice hunting load for deer size game. If you have a newer action you can load to the 30-06 or .308 levels so the cartridge is very flexible.
Why do people do this? Or even recommend it?

I've got a friend. I sold him a Winchester 94, 45 Colt. When he told me the loads he was running through it, I told him that if he wanted that power, he needed a 45/70. He's got one. Runs load approaching 458 Win Mag in it. When I told him to get the 458 if he wanted that power, he said he had one. Runs 458 Lott loads in it.

Seems like I am the only person in the world that both reloads AND owns Ruger single actions in 45 Colt, and DOES NOT want to make super-powerful-Ruger-Only loads for it.

If you want 44 magnum power, buy a 44 magnum, not a 45 Colt. If you want 30/06 power, buy a damn 30/06, and don't try to hotrod a 30/40.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
The loading manuals I am recalling (from memory) list loads for modern actions and specific loads for actions such as the Ruger model1, there are no "Krag friendly" loads listed and only recommendations against firing in older guns.
Hot rodding is not what I am advocating, there are quite a few different action types that can handle certain load power factors and the Krag round , brass and bullet capacity, is flexible enough to accept a variety of loads.

·
Registered
17,770 Posts
The loading manuals I am recalling (from memory) list loads for modern actions and specific loads for actions such as the Ruger model1, there are no "Krag friendly" loads listed and only recommendations against firing in older guns.
Hot rodding is not what I am advocating, there are quite a few different action types that can handle certain load power factors and the Krag round , brass and bullet capacity, is flexible enough to accept a variety of loads.
>If you have a newer action you can load to the 30-06 or .308 levels so the cartridge is very flexible.<

Sounds like recommending "hot-rodding" to me.

·
Registered
17,770 Posts
As for the manuals, the one I happen to have here next to me - Speer #12 - has five pages of loads. Bullets from the 100 grain "Plinker" to the 200 grain Spitzer SP.

Test firearm listed as "US Krag Model 1898". Nothing about "stronger actions and heavier loads". I find that in the 45 Colt section (Ruger and Contender only), the 45/70 section (one power lever for trapdoor, one for levers and one for Ruger single-shots and bolt action Mausers) and the 32/20 section (Contender only). But not the 30/40.

·
Registered
8,675 Posts
Alpo is spot-on (he always has been as far as I know). I've reloaded for closing on 50 years, and the one thing that I just can't wrap my head around is why on earth so many reloader's insist on jacking up their loads to maximum or over maximum pressures and velocities.

·
Registered
54 Posts
The U.S. Krag is one of the slickest bolt actions ever made.The Krag is also a great cast bullet caliber. The long neck of the case is perfect for CB's. Oversize and worn bores can be compensated for by use of appropriate diameter bullets, restoring decent accuracy. The velocity limitations of cast bullets fits perfectly within the Krag's limitations.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Krags are fine machines --I have a peck of them -
Most digest cast loads from 311316 to 311299 with relish --
I do not use jacketed loads with the exception of a few "plinkers"

I certainly agree krags should not be "hot rodded" but lyman 47 or 48 does have a section for the ruger #1/3 in 30-40 that is quite a bit hotter than standard --

It is always wise to examine krag bolts carefully. If they have been abused - too hot loads- the bolt may begin cracking at the lug root -- It is usually visible to the naked eye.
I think perhaps there is too sharp a corner at this point - a larger radius may have prevented this failure --
If the bolt is starting to crack the weapon obviously should be removed from active duty. For occaisional shoots, light bullets with very light loads would be ok as the bolt has a large secondary rib that will not fail --
my tuppence

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have a M95 made in 1922, even though it is in excellent condition mechanically, I would never push the envelope on something that old. I use 47gns of H4831 powder and keep the velocity around 2000fps with 180gn SP. My M95 is very accurate with this load. The .30-40 cartridge originally came out with a 220gn bullet and was a low velocity round.

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
BEst gun for that round IMO, aside from the Krag-jorgensen, is the Win 1895 leveraction. Its a wonderfully accurate cartridge that rivals the power of the .303 brit. And in its std pressure loading will drop any game on this continent. There is not need to hot rod it. Enjoy it for the mild recoiling and wonderfully accurate chambering its supposed to be.

BTW, I agree wholeheartedly Alpo!

·
Registered
396 Posts
I have 2 however the ammo is hard to find as I don't reload. The surplus ammo dried up in the 1930's.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts