30 cal rifle

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by cycloneman, Apr 15, 2009.

1. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

bullet: 30 cal flavor no less than 165 and no more than 200gr. That's the bullet, now for the rifle. I already have the ability to shoot 165 gr at 3100 fps accuratly. Want to get past this. Does anybody make a 300 with 30 or so inches of bbl? Is this something that needs to be custom made? Weight and length of rifle are not an issue. Accuracy and speed are. I dont want this for punching paper, this is for hunting the flat lands.

2. tim peterson

tim peterson Member

Howdy Cycloneman, here are the names of some damn good rifles. R W Hart rifles, sako finland, kimber. Steyer Mannlicher. One of these could have what your looking for. best of luck.

3. bluesea112

bluesea112 Active Member

From what I understand, production rifle barrels are made to maximize the velocity of any given caliber. After a certain length, all of the powder is burned so the extra length of a barrel will only slow down your bullet. If a 30+ inch barrel would help either velocity or accuracy, then manufacturers would offer them. If you want a flatter trajectory, I think you are going to have to decrease your bullet diameter and bullet weight rather then adding length to a .30 caliber barrel.