1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,
I have one of these cheaper guns. .30 carbine that has a marking on it of:
Universal Hialeah, fla Pat, 3.382.766
Anyway, when I start shooting it, I keep getting rounds stuck in the chamber and they will not eject. Any ideas? I have cleaned it really well, and it has done this on multiple occasions and keeps doing it. I guess it happens most when it is hot and after I already shot about 3 out of it. Will not extract, and stuck.
Is there anything I can do, or something I can replace it with? Don't really want it to be a boat anchor.

Thanks,

·
Registered
17,651 Posts
What's your ammo?

I'm thinking - Wolf?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Was shooting Tula which was steel casings. Bought some Monarch that was not steel and had the same problem.

·
Premium Member
13,545 Posts
Remove the stock and check the gas piston's fore-aft movement. If it's not moving easily, or has begun peening the retaining cut in the underside of the barrel (one of Universal's design modifications), it's probably not imparting enough energy to the bolt's operating slide - which on late model Universals was stamped rather than a casting or forging. Also check the operating slide itself. The late stamped version had a habit of cracking in the area of the bolt lug cutout, and this could interfere with the bolt's ability to unlock properly.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Without doing anything else, get a box of brass cased ammo and shoot a that. If it works then the steel cased ammo is the problem.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Tried the Brass from the Monarch. Still same thing. Maybe a little less stuck than steel.

·
Registered
17,651 Posts
Some steel-cased is painted to prevent rusting. Some has a plastic coating on it. Either of these can (in my opinion), if the chamber gets hot enough, melt and stick to the chamber. This would not only cause THAT CASE to stick, but once you got that one out, the residue still in the chamber could cause other cases to stick.

So, possibly, the Tula left a residue, and the residue is causing the Monarch to stick also.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I cleaned the doo doo out of it ha. I will clean again also. I don't know much about taking it apart but will and see if I see any cracks and such too.

·
Banned
772 Posts
There is a port in the barrel that allows gas to enter the piston. I expect the gas port and piston need cleaning.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts