The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I need a replacement gas block for a Universal 30 carbine rifle. My finances and the value of the gun do not make replacing the barrel with a criterion or surplus barrel practical/affordable. Please let me know if anyone has one, Numrich is out of stock.
The gas block cracked and the nut&piston blew out (fun) I tried brazing the crack and retapping the threads, but it failed again.

On a second question, the NRA magazine ran an article about the 300 whisper, this got me thinking " has anyone loaded a heavier or rifle type bullet in the .30 carbine ammo?" The .30 carbine is a fun round to shoot but it lacks the "punch" to give me confidence for brush type (pig) hunting. Yes, I know it is used for hunting, but I do not intend to track a wounded pig thru dense bush just because I wanted to shoot it with a carbine.

I feel that if the 30-30 can be updated why not the .30 ? Ballistic tip .30 carbine? Ideas?
What about rechambering in 7.62x25 ? Is this practical?

·
Registered
410 Posts
7.62x25? This round will actually give you less bullet weight and energy.

I have one of those PPsh-43 subguns and while it is a lot of fun, the M1 carbine is a better killer.

The carbine has more energy and velocity at 100 yards than a .357 magnum pistol at the muzzle.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Guess that I am not terribly familiar with the 7.62x25, it is just an idea.

I do rather think there ore better bullet designs than what is found on hardball or current factory ammo. I am thinking of the current Hornady 30-30 "upgrade" to ammo.

·
Registered
17,290 Posts
Sierra makes (or used to, anyway) a 125 hollow point that is designed for a 30/30. I've got three or four boxes of 'em that I bought with the intention of coming up with "more better" 30 carbine loads. Never got a round tuit, so they are still sitting. But one of these days.

Friend of mine had that happen with his Plainfield. Took it to another friend (nice to have friends) who is a welder, to have it tigged back together. He and his helper looked at it and decided that wouldn't hold, but his helper has a machine shop at his house, and said he thought he would make one of them. He did, and the welder silver-soldered it back on to the barrel, and everything turned out peachy. Hard to find a replacement. Most barrels seem to have that machined into them. "Part of the barrel", as opposed to being soldered in place.

·
Registered
18,036 Posts
just me.. but I would not hunt pig with a 30carb.. 30-30 minimum I would think.. and really.. 35 rem is superb in brush...

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am in the "bigger is better" crowd for hunting ammo. I use a minimum .30 cal for hunting; it may be 30-06, 8mm, 7.7 jap or 7.62x54 ect....
I am setting up a sportered Krag for this season, the bullet weight and diameter are what I look at as I just do not want to take a chance of loosing an animal in dense brush and really do not want to go after a po'd pig where I can only see 5 ft. around me.
I feel that a large (as in 30 cal) bullet moving at even a "slow" speed is preferable to a high velocity small cal round; my personal opinion only and that is likely to not change.
I have seen articles (such as a recent one on Norma ammo) that mention rifle bullets beginning to distort/expand at low speeds and can not help wondering what such marvelous wonders of engineering could do for the often dismissed .30 carbine round.
The above mention of a 125 gr, Sierra sounds interesting, time to look that up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts