30 M-1 Carbine Bayonet

Discussion in 'Knives & Edged Items' started by Conman, Apr 25, 2018.

1. Empty_Holster

Empty_Holster Well-Known Member

I found a source for bayonets = made in Italy during the 1950-60's for the M-1 Carbine. I order a couple and when they arrived I found they had never been used; one was still in cosmoline.

Since I play on using them in displays I'm not going to bother sharpening them.

Bayonet and Scabbard.jpg

2. jedwil

jedwil Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Can you share the source?

3. jim brady

jim brady Well-Known Member

Just so you know - you are not supposed to sharpen a bayonet. At least that is what every NCO I've ever had told me...... Made sense to me back then - my air crew survival knife came with a sharpening stone and none of my bayonets did.

Conman and BlackEagle like this.
  4. CCHolderinMaine

CCHolderinMaine Well-Known Member

I've been told that as well.
    I have no real idea, but a few folks who's opinions I trust, have phrased it; "It's a bayonet not a knife, so don't treat it like one".
    Love to hear what some of the people here in the know have to say about the subject.

BlackEagle and Big Mak like this.
  5. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Seems like it was earlier this week or last last week that I got an email from one of the "gun companies" that were selling the Italian made bayonets that Conman mentioned. I looked to see if I still had that email but it was deleted. I will look at some of the places that I get emails from to see if I can find them.

jedwil likes this.
  6. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

jedwil likes this.
  7. jedwil

jedwil Well-Known Member Supporting Member

gdmoody likes this.
  8. jim brady

jim brady Well-Known Member

I searched and found that a great many other soldiers were told the same thing as I was - NOT to sharpen their bayonets. I was told this with sufficient authority and repetition that I believed this to be due to Regulation.

HOWEVER - I could find nothing in Army Regulations or the Articles Of War that specifically forbid doing it. The primary function of a bayonet is stabbing - not cutting. The steel used in most bayonets is not of sufficient quality to retain a sharp edge like traditional knives.

9. Big Mak

Big Mak Well-Known Member

Sharpening--> My stepfather who fought the Germans in WW2 (And took bullet to the leg during the Battle of the Bulge) told me it depends where you are deployed. If you were in the Guadalcanal Campaign, you bet your life they kept them sharpened. Sharp bayonets with suicidal Nips jumping the lines were the difference between waking up the next afternoon in your foxhole after all night fighting and NOT waking up.

BlackEagle, The_Doctor and jim brady like this.
  10. Empty_Holster

I got them at a place called Classic Firearms. I see Midway USA has them for the same price.

I had no idea!! I flew a desk for my military career and had no dealings with bayonets!!

11. Empty_Holster

Did anyone e!se buy these?