The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are the 300 Blackout and 300 Whisper one in the same? I've heard both before and do not know if there is a difference. Is there and if there is, what is the difference?

·
Registered
18,034 Posts
it looks like a 300 whisper will chamber in a 300 acc/blackout.

whisper seems to be a pretty tight trademark.. and if you have a whisper chamber.. you are pretty much only using a few different firearms as there appears to be no standardized reamer ( 300/221 ) etc.. looks like making brass from 223 is a no-no for the whisper as well.. vs the blackout.. etc.

anyone else have more info on 300 whisper in a 300 acc blackout chamber?

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
tomato VS tomatoe

·
Registered
8,839 Posts
JD Jones made the Whisper to his own specs and did not get it SAAMI "approved."

The Blackout is the same round just made to SAAMI specs later, thus able to be copyrighted or patented or whatever as a "new round."

JD Jones claims they are the same and interchangeable.

I've shot a few JD Jones customized rifles that were SWEET and would love to have him play with a couple of mine, so far be it from me to question him.

·
Registered
751 Posts
american rifleman magazine had an article on this several months back (forget which, will try to find it) basically the same and will interchange according to the author

·
Registered
183 Posts
Not sure why J.D. didn't get the cartridge set to "SAMMI" standards. Maybe because it was just another "Wildcat" and probably didn't think it would ever become the huge hit that it was.
I guess I could ask him. Been good friends with him for over 30 years.
..The parent case for .300 Whisper was a .221 Fireball necked up to .30 cal. and bullets seated to the OAL of the .223 Rem. It made sense to make it "Fit" on the AR-15 with minimal changes.
You really do get MOA accuracy @ 200 yds. with subsonic 200+ grainers.
Mine is set up by SSK with a 7.5:1 twist bbl and their custom gas block. (It's also threaded for a suppressor)
The gas block is unique in that you can dial it for subsonic or supersonic loads...or you can vent it out completely and it won't cycle the action at all.
It's way cool to shoot subsonic loads with a suppressor and the gas turned off. The gun goes "Pffft" and you hear that 220 grainer "Slap" downrange.
...and here's gem of advice: In order to get things to work the best, you should develop your loads with a chronograph. My first rounds with 1050 fps loading data clocked at 875 fps...too slow. It all matters in this cartridge. Don't take anything for granted.
The last thing you need is to get a bullet stuck half way down the tube and not know it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts