The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, first off I am not a rifle expert, shoot mostly handguns, and I know there are a lot of variables to account for and I am not trying to get a perfect answer.

I am in the process of writing some fiction and there is a scene where a carbine in 300 blackout equipped with a suppressor is fired, using subsonic ammo. I am trying to convey at what distance from the shooter is the sound indistinguishable from background noise.

Not looking for a precise number but a reasonably accurate one. For example, don't care if it were at 50 vs 75 yards. Do care whether we are talking 100, 200, etc. yards.

Appreciate your responses!

·
Super Moderator
29,971 Posts
@zant shoots a lot of suppressed rounds, maybe he'll chime in and be able to help.

·
Registered
6,426 Posts
Using subs in a bolt gun,50ft.......subs in an AR will be louder because of action noise......when you're suppressing rounds,you're actually moving the sound further away...In subs,you're GTG to go,but with supersonic the sound will be louder at 1-200yds than it is at rifle....Thanks for wanting to write facts not Hollywood fiction.....Make it a 60gr .22 suppressed and someone 10ft away won't be able to tell where sound(PFFFT)came from.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Using subs in a bolt gun,50ft.......subs in an AR will be louder because of action noise......when you're suppressing rounds,you're actually moving the sound further away...In subs,you're GTG to go,but with supersonic the sound will be louder at 1-200yds than it is at rifle....Thanks for wanting to write facts not Hollywood fiction.....Make it a 60gr .22 suppressed and someone 10ft away won't be able to tell where sound(PFFFT)came from.
Many thanks!

·
Registered
Couple wall hangers
10,198 Posts
Well, you get combustion gasses through the action, and that bolt carrier slamming back and forth. So, 100yds plus or minus.

·
Registered
6,426 Posts
If I were writing a book and using .300/supp...I would use a short bolt action in the story line,available to buy or build...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts