The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! I'm by no means an expert at rifles so I'm hoping you all can help.

I recently inherited this (I'm told) a .303 rifle from my late father in law. I'm hoping with the pictures someone will be able to help identify this rifle.

Any and all help is appreciated! Thanks all!

· Banned
17,505 Posts
this could well be one of my butcher jobs

its a 1944 rebuilt in 47 ( total refurbished stamped on it )

now sporterised

value not a lot take off $100-$200 for the sporterising job from a decent quality original

lot of export markings

this is common a lot of folks bought these in budles of 100 and sporterised them for the local market

here i did similar turning many into 22/250's or 308's

looks like the original barrel so would say its still .303

· Registered
6,391 Posts
The rifle is (or was) a Rifle No. 4, Mark 1, made by BSA, Shirley, Code M47, in 1944.

The overstamp "ENGL" (England) is the country of origin (COO) mark required for import into the U.S. The COO instead of the current import mark indicates the rifle was imported into the U.S. prior to 1968.

The rifle has been heavily modified, including working the magazine over to reduce its capacity from the original ten rounds to (probably) five to comply with hunting laws. Value is in the neighborhood of $100 or so, purely as a hunting rifle. Its collector value has been destroyed and cannot be restored.

The sporter stock is a Bishop; that company, now out of business, made a wide variety of sporter stocks for military surplus rifles. They were of good quality and sold at a reasonable price.

HTH

Jim

· Premium Member
14,218 Posts
The sling swivel mounted on the triggerguard's forward screw, plus what appears to be the rear "pad" of a No.32 Scope's mounting fixture, would seem to suggest this old warhorse started life as a No.4 Mk.1(T) sniper rifle.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm a bit confused on the magazine. From what I can tell there is no place to put one, with only a single shot when I pull the bolt back?!?!

Also, can someone explain a bit more about sporterizing a rifle?

The rear sight is mounted backwards? Just the top portion or the entire thing?

Based on what what others have said above, this started life as an old military weapon but has since moved on to civilian use?

As you call can tell I really know zero about this and just about any other gun. The last gun I can even recall shooting was 20+ years ago in the boy scouts and it was nothing more than a .22

· Premium Member
14,218 Posts
I'm a bit confused on the magazine. From what I can tell there is no place to put one, with only a single shot when I pull the bolt back?!?! The rear sight is mounted backwards? Just the top portion or the entire thing?
Last question first; the entire rear sight, top & bottom portions, is reversed, which is not to say it couldn't be used that way. As to the magazine, or lack therof, it's hard to tell from the photos what's in the magazine well - ahead of the triggerguard bow. The magazine release is present - it's that spring loaded tab immediately ahead of the trigger. Your reference to single shot has me wondering whether the usual 10 round magazine has been replaced with a single shot adapter for match shooting. If you depress the magazine release, what - if anything - slides out of the magazine well? If you want to see what this rifle looked like as originally issued, hop on Google/Image and tap in Enfield No.4 Mk.1(T). The 1(T) variation of the No.4 was a sniper rifle.

· Premium Member
14,218 Posts
p.s. to previous. You'd asked about the term "sporterizing". In a very broad sense this usually means taking a standard issue military rifle, such as your No.4, and removing or modifying just about everything not needed for sporting use - bayonet lug, several inches of barrel length, and so forth. It usually also means the addition of a scope or commercial sights - such as the WGOS on your rifle. These additions involve drilling and tapping, which makes restoration to original military condition problematical. The forend of your rifle is original issue, but cut down and refinished to simulate contemporary sporting rifles, while the buttstock is a commercially manufactured replacement.

· Premium Member
14,218 Posts
but should be a good deer rifle
Between Enfields and Ross's we've a number of .303s in our racks, one of which is my deer rifle; an unaltered 1945 vintage No.5 with original sling etc. - one of the so-called jungle carbines. Yes, I know, my collector compatriots out there are cringing at the thought, but I take very good care of this rifle. My better half, on the other hand, being more of a traditionalist, sticks to her Marlin .35 or .41 Mag single action.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.