The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am brand new to the forum. I am interested in buying a bolt action .308 and would like some advise. I have been thinking rem 700 all along but I am open to any suggestions. Also I want a 20" barrel. I am not a hunter but I am interested in long range shooting.Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks. Dewey Maxwell.

·
Registered
9 Posts
All the major brands make accurate rifles but as far as long range target shooting I would recommend getting a good bolt action rifle with a 24 inch barrel. The longer the barrel the more velocity, flatter trajectory and less drop making longer shots a bit easier. In addition, slim barrels heat up faster then heavy (bull/varmint/target) barrel will. lastly, spend good money on a top shelf scope and you can't go wrong with a leupold great glass and the best warranty in the business.

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
Rem 700 tactical or Savage Model 10 Precision Carbine.

Flip a coin, equal performers IMO.

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
Dewey, I made a simialr post a few days ago. Look up "best .308 bolt action" and you will see the info there. Seems like the Savage 10 is a more popular choice with the Rem 700 being another good option. There is some handy info on the savage in my thread.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
I was right there with ya all the way. I am also not a hunter but I am interested in long range shooting and dead set on .308. Had been thinking Remington 700 but possibly Savage with Howa being considered if I found a great deal, but mainly what it boiled down to was finding a good price on a barely used Remington or Savage. Which ever came first and had the features I wanted.
Like gundog5 sugested, I wanted the bull barrel and lenght for greater perfomance and figured on adding a quality scope unless I got lucky enough to have a good one already on it. Also wanted the camo finished synthetic stock but that would icing on the cake, definitely not a deal breaker, you can only expect so much. Long story short, happily the Rem. came first because having used one before I already knew what to expect. It's got 26" bull barrel and by golly it has the camo stock with beavertail forearm I like too, oh and I can't say enough about that Remington Super Cell recoil pad either, that's another plus.
I ended up going with a Nikon Buckmaster 6-18x40 with the BDC reticle. Got it on sale for a hundred bones off the regular price and a Vortex spotter also on sale at the same place, (Cabella's), and the stage is set! I'm not pushing the Remington, there are lots of fine guns to choose from, I'm just grabbing the opportunity to brag about my little bundle of joy! I can't make meaningfull advisery on the other brands as I don't have much experience with them but I do like Savage as another good rifle that a guy like me can aford to own. Good luck!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
41,340 Posts
I recently bought one of the Ruger American Rifles in .308. It was not all that expensive but for the price is seems to be really well made. I only put about 10 rounds through it then decided to do some firelapping on it so I am only part way into that process.

I usually try to go shooting on Wednesdays but they have been way too busy for the past three seeks and looks like still too busy for the next three seeks. I want to get it fire lapped so I can work up a good load for it. It is just a plain Jane rifle, I put a Nikon scope and a cheap set of bi-pods on it.

I saw one of the Ruger American's go for $275 last week on one of the other forum's that I frequent, that was a great price!!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
41,340 Posts
If I had not just spent $430 on a Zestava 7.62X39 rifle, I probably would have grabbed it!!

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
Heres a shot of my personal .308 Savage. Its set up in precision carbine configuration. With a McGowen 10 twist barrel. 110BA bolt handle. H146 cerakote on the action, bolt handle, barrel nut, recoil lug and bolt nut, PTG spiral fluted bolt body and PTG bolt head. Factory accustock with reaper hydrographics. And topped with a Nikon Monarch X 4-16X50 Mildot in a DNZ tactical gamereaper 20MOA mount.

Shes effective at all ranges from 0 to 1000. And short enough shooting sitting, kneeling and slung offhand doenst kill my steadiness.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
34,532 Posts
Hello, I am brand new to the forum. I am interested in buying a bolt action .308 and would like some advise. I have been thinking rem 700 all along but I am open to any suggestions. Also I want a 20" barrel. I am not a hunter but I am interested in long range shooting.Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks. Dewey Maxwell.
Welcome to the forum! I to chose the Remington 700 in .308. Mines not set up for long range shooting, but for hunting.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
I have the Remington 700 but I have some guys I shoot with who own the Savage. I agree with JLA, flip a coin or go with the one that feels like it fits the best

·
Registered
97 Posts
I am most likely going to get yelled at but i am not a big fan of the .308 for long range shooting of 400 yards plus that is. The round is too slow and will drift a lot at that range. I would much more shoot long range a 300 Weatherby Mag. Or for that matter a Winchester 300 short mag in bull barrel. Both firearms will reach right out there at 600 yards and still have enough energy to harvest a moose or bull elk or a man sized knock down target. There are other rifles that will do the same job but i still like Winchester or Weatherby rifles for very long range. How ever no mater what you end up with top it with a Lupold in 9X18X50, 9X19X50 filed of vision. I dont remember which magnavcation they carry. Anyway i hope this helps some and doesnt confuse you more . lol

For the record 30 year NYS Hunter Ed. Instructor, 10 year NRA Basic Pistol Instructor, and 20 year NYS Bow Hunter Ed. Instructor. Sorry guys was not pollite to keep my creds. unknown.

bigdad5

·
Registered
846 Posts
I have a Rem.700P in 308 set in a McMillian stock,24" R5 barrel and topped with a Redfield 3x9 accurange. It is a tack driving gun but I've also got an earlier Rem. 700C 24" stock barrel topped with a Balvar 8, 23/4 x 8 3/4 that will out shoot the 700P.:D:D:D

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
WOW JLA that one looks like a real shooter. But ill bet with that muzzle break she is an ear spliter. Do you use plugs and micky mouse ears?

bigdad5
just foam plugs. It is an earsplitter. but plugs are more than sufficient if worn properly. Most folks don't wear them properly so its not a bad idea to use both types of hearing protection.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Had this one at the range today. A Rem 700 SPS Tactical .308, B&C stock, Konus 6.5-24 M30 scope, Harris bi-pod, and Wyatt detachable magazine.

·
Premium Member
34,532 Posts
.308, 1500 yards: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwYgShOV35E

·
Registered
18,034 Posts
i don't shoot 308 often.. but shoot 3006 alot. I have shot with a rem 700 and a savage 110 both seem equally accurate. good guns..

1 - 19 of 19 Posts