The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am building my first ar 10. I know they can be touchy to piece together so some advice would be great. That being said this is a budget/lightweight build so don't hate the cheap choices please just tell me if they won't work or you have cheaper/better alternatives! Thank you in advance!

Live free armory receiver set (blemished)=$190
Add their handguard for unbeatable $100 13oz
Aero lower kit w/ magpul grip=$90
Trybe bcg=$150 18.24oz
Aero charging handle=$25 1.1oz
Break Arms buffer kit=$55 9.4oz
MFT minimalist stock=$60 6.3oz
Faxon 18" pencil barrel=$270
Wojtek .625 LP Gas block+ 2ml bullet tube=$57 approx. 2.1oz
Striker ind. Fwd ass. And dust cover=$38 .6oz
Grand total=$1035

·
No Power Options
13,366 Posts
Since no AR10 platform is Milspec, good luck with all those making parts. Might fit one maker, not the other.
No cheap out here.
I love my AR15 in 7.62x39........but the 6.5 Grendel is tops for me now. Push two pins and your done. Recoil, bout nothing. Both 400 yard whackers and 200 more for the later.

·
Super Moderator
26,931 Posts
Since no AR10 platform is Milspec, good luck with all those making parts. Might fit one maker, not the other.
No cheap out here.
I love my AR15 in 7.62x39........but the 6.5 Grendel is tops for me now. Push two pins and your done. Recoil, bout nothing. Both 400 yard whackers and 200 more for the later.
But he has the most difficult part covered, he has a matched upper and lower.

Reactions: JRK57

·
No Power Options
13,366 Posts
They (parts) are mostly all different???? No parts yet so how would you know? Pins for lower might no match trigger group. The horror stories of these builds are way to many to cheap out. AR15-yes, AR10 NO.
Buy a complete rifle from top shelf maker or get something else.

·
Super Moderator
26,931 Posts
They (parts) are mostly all different???? No parts yet so how would you know? Pins for lower might no match trigger group. The horror stories of these builds are way to many to cheap out. AR15-yes, AR10 NO.
Buy a complete rifle from top shelf maker or get something else.
I'm not disagreeing with you, but from what I've heard, it can be the biggest nightmare when using different uppers and lowers.

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
I've built most of my ARs and at least 25 for other people.....AR10s are a weird beast when building because of 3 different parts specs-non interchangeable....I have a POF .308,did'nt want to deal with problems.....But if you research it and find everything works together-cool.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have researched and found matching different upper and lowers to be the major issue. Didn't know matching bcg or barrels ect to be issues as long as you know you have either dpms or ar platform. I'll have to research more in depth

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
I appreciate the help but the point of this is to BUILD a 308 for about $1000... not buy a 308 for $2000.
I think if you research compatibility,it should work....it's when people just buy parts,whether 10 or 15,that problems arise...What magazine is your magwell setup for??

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Tuckerd1 thank you so much! If my lighter design falls through I may go with this for a budget only purchase. What is your weight empty?
Zant i will look again but I believe they are pmags

·
Registered
420 Posts
If you’ve matched the lower and upper receivers, and your hand guard matches the Upper. (There are 3 versions, Armalite, DPMS low profile, & DPMS high profile), if these all match your mostly there. Just make sure you use an AR-10 lower & upper parts kits (which it sounds Ike you did) . Next is the barrel & bolt, since the AR-10 is not milspec headspacing is not standardized. So for AR-10 it’s more important to match the bolt and barrel (same mfg). Either get the headspace checked, or purchase a headspace kit (too expensive for me to justify).

Charge handle is longer so those are specific.

Make sure you have an extended Mag release button (Aero Precision has these in. Their kits)

Everything else is standard AR stuff buffer tube, stock pistol grip, etc.

Good luck, these are not hard to build like some have said, I built 6-7 of these this year alone all operate perfectly The hardest part is finding parts on the cheap.

·
Administrator
11,969 Posts
Tuckerd1 thank you so much! If my lighter design falls through I may go with this for a budget only purchase. What is your weight empty?
Zant i will look again but I believe they are pmags
My rifle is around 12#. Not a lightweight! Add optics and it will go at least 13#.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts