The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for advice on reloading 308 bullets into used 7.62x54r brass that used to have 310-312 bullets. The brass is slightly larger than the 308. When I resize to knock out the primer will it resize the neck of the brass to 308 or to 310 or 312? I have all the parts to begin reloading but I haven't started yet. I haven't bought 7.62 dies yet but I have dies for 30-06 RCBS. Do I need special dies to resize down to 308? I'll be using brass shot out of a Finn M39 but I want to reload to 308 for a Finn M28/30 originally bored at 308. I slugged the barrel and it's still 308ish so I'm trying to avoid shooting 310-312 bullets. Any thoughts on this? Will the RCBS 7.62x54r dies size it down to 308 or do other manufactures have such dies? Any help would be appreciated. Pictures are of the M28/30 after I took it all apart and cleaned it. The Tang date is 1905. The barrel date is 1939.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,507 Posts
I bought a set of RCBS dies for 7.62X54r and mine came with two different sized expander balls, one for closer to 308 and the other for 311. Just choose the appropriate ball and you’ll be good to go.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Love my Finns .......people have tried the 308 ammo with different results..........I got some loaded with 308 when a defense contractor tried to screw the govt by loading casings with the far more easily available 308 bullets.

RCBS with 2 expanders or chuck the expander for a LEE 7.62x54R into a drill motor and take the expander down with a file, crocus cloth or sand paper.
But remember the Finns made extensive use of Russian ammo in M27s and M39s so 311-313 is what did most of the work in these rifles ....
Does yours have the fins on the bolt ?

more info on the M27
http://www.mosinnagant.net/finland/The-Finnish-M27.asp

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I bought a set of RCBS dies for 7.62X54r and mine came with two different sized expander balls, one for closer to 308 and the other for 311. Just choose the appropriate ball and you’ll be good to go.
I heard that the RCBS might have two variations. Thanks for the confirmation. That's most likely what I'll do.

Love my Finns .......people have tried the 308 ammo with different results..........I got some loaded with 308 when a defense contractor tried to screw the govt by loading casings with the far more easily available 308 bullets.

RCBS with 2 expanders or chuck the expander for a LEE 7.62x54R into a drill motor and take the expander down with a file, crocus cloth or sand paper.
But remember the Finns made extensive use of Russian ammo in M27s and M39s so 311-313 is what did most of the work in these rifles ....
Does yours have the fins on the bolt ?

more info on the M27
http://www.mosinnagant.net/finland/The-Finnish-M27.asp
My m39 shoots the Russian surplus just great but this 28/30 slugged at 308 so I want to get properly sized bullets for the best accuracy and preserve the barrel as much as possible.
The bolt is standard, no finns on it.
Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I stand Corrected I was not aware there were so many differences between the M-27, the M-28 and the M-28/30 . I believed it was just the sights and stock .....My bad.....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts