The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am working on resizing some once fired brass I have accumulated. I have trimmed the cases down to 2.00" (+/-.001) and run them through my Lee full length sizing dies, then drop them in the case gauge to check sizing. About a third of them still stick out of the gauge after sizing, to a varying degree despite being the same 'batch' (head stamps are LC 17). Some stick out basically the entire thickness of the head, where some stick out maybe one or two thousandths (I can push the case into the gauge and it would be in tolerance).

Any ideas? I don't know what other information would be useful in diagnosing the issue, so let me know and I'll work on getting it.

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That makes sense GD, appreciate it; the failures threw off my normal routine. So, these were rounds I had reloaded earlier but ended up pulling the bullets because they had alot of extraction issues. Kind of the process that I have been using (after the bullet is pulled); case gauge, trim, caliper check, resize, case gauge (then caliper if it fails). The case length seems to stay the same, but the head still sticks out of the gage.

Sorry, noob reloader.

·
Super Moderator
28,585 Posts
Size first, then trim. If you still have this problem, check your sizing die set up.

Reactions: jim brady

·
Registered
8,107 Posts
That makes sense GD, appreciate it; the failures threw off my normal routine. So, these were rounds I had reloaded earlier but ended up pulling the bullets because they had alot of extraction issues. Kind of the process that I have been using (after the bullet is pulled); case gauge, trim, caliper check, resize, case gauge (then caliper if it fails). The case length seems to stay the same, but the head still sticks out of the gage.

Sorry, noob reloader.
"After the bullet is pulled"? I don't get that part. Are you re-processing live ammunition?

Gotta keep things organized and simple- as well as understand what you are doing and why you are doing it. The function of re-sizing cases is to squeeze fired cases back to the size that the case was before it was fired. The reason you trim is to remove brass from the case mouth when the case was fired (and stretched during firing AND during re-sizing).

When you 'squeeze' a fired case during the re-size operation (especially bottle neck type cases), often times the brass will tend to move forward towards the case mouth. This happens both on firing and on re-sizing. That is why those cases may require trimming or have the shoulders on a bottle neck 'set back'.

If I am running a batch of fired cases - especially fired cases new-to-me - I am not going to bother measuring each and every one of them after they have been deprimed and re-sized. The other step with those LC cases is removal of the primer cup crimp. After all of that I just run them thru a case trimmer and chamfer the case mouths to clean off any burrs from the cutting and give the inside of the case mouth a tiny bevel to ease bullet seating. I will check the cases at random to make sure my trimmer hasn't gone out of adjustment (hasn't yet happened).

'Taint 'Rocket Science' but you need to do it right.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
First clean your case's if your going to. Next resize them, FL partial of neck. next trim to length. next seat bullet's. Throw that gadget you got away!

·
Registered
456 Posts
Check the rims to see whether there are any burrs on them. Try sticking the case into the gauge base first to see if it will go in at all. I frequently have 308 cases that do not pass a gauge test because of some burr on the rim. A swipe of two with a file generally gets them to go into the gauge. That may not be your problem but is worth a try.

edit: Do the cases fit into the rifle's chamber far enough so that the bolt closes?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Check the rims to see whether there are any burrs on them. Try sticking the case into the gauge base first to see if it will go in at all. I frequently have 308 cases that do not pass a gauge test because of some burr on the rim. A swipe of two with a file generally gets them to go into the gauge. That may not be your problem but is worth a try.

edit: Do the cases fit into the rifle's chamber far enough so that the bolt closes?
Some do, some don't; the one's that don't seize up maybe a 1/4" out. The one's that do seat get jammed in the chamber and I have to mortar the rifle to eject them. I will try your suggestion with seating the case in the gauge; honestly, the thought never occurred to me to try that.

"After the bullet is pulled"? I don't get that part. Are you re-processing live ammunition?

Gotta keep things organized and simple- as well as understand what you are doing and why you are doing it. The function of re-sizing cases is to squeeze fired cases back to the size that the case was before it was fired. The reason you trim is to remove brass from the case mouth when the case was fired (and stretched during firing AND during re-sizing).

When you 'squeeze' a fired case during the re-size operation (especially bottle neck type cases), often times the brass will tend to move forward towards the case mouth. This happens both on firing and on re-sizing. That is why those cases may require trimming or have the shoulders on a bottle neck 'set back'.

If I am running a batch of fired cases - especially fired cases new-to-me - I am not going to bother measuring each and every one of them after they have been deprimed and re-sized. The other step with those LC cases is removal of the primer cup crimp. After all of that I just run them thru a case trimmer and chamfer the case mouths to clean off any burrs from the cutting and give the inside of the case mouth a tiny bevel to ease bullet seating. I will check the cases at random to make sure my trimmer hasn't gone out of adjustment (hasn't yet happened).

'Taint 'Rocket Science' but you need to do it right.
Yessir, I am reprocessing some reloads I made a couple years ago. Was having nothing but issues with them, so I discussed what I was encountering with some of the quality inspectors at work, and they suggested a case gauge.

Thanks for the tips!

·
Super Moderator
42,021 Posts
Might I suggest that you look into buying a Small Base Die for resizing. Years ago when I bought my first M1A and started reloading .308, I had nothing but problems with feeding. A friend and long time hand loader suggested the Small Base Die, that fixed the problem completely. I no longer have an M1A, but I still have that die and when I get .308 brass that I don't know, I use that die first.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Might I suggest that you look into buying a Small Base Die for resizing. Years ago when I bought my first M1A and started reloading .308, I had nothing but problems with feeding. A friend and long time hand loader suggested the Small Base Die, that fixed the problem completely. I no longer have an M1A, but I still have that die and when I get .308 brass that I don't know, I use that die first.
GD; Would you have any brand or model suggestions for a small base die? I have a Lee Challenger press, would they be compatible? I've seen those mentioned before, but I'm not familiar with them.

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
42,021 Posts
I used them in my old Lee press for years, now I have a Rock Chucker and I am still using it. Mine are RCBS, and that is the only brand that I have knowledge of, so I guess I would suggest them. Since you already load the .308, you do not need the whole two die set, just the resizing die. I just did a search, and found one on eBay with the present bid at $17.29 plus shipping.

·
Registered
32 Posts
What rifle are you shooting them out of ? I noticed one really high, which they shouldn't sit that high if you sized them. I had cases sit that high and seen the rims were chewed up from extraction and wouldn't sit down in the gauge.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts