The Firearms Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Super Moderator
42,744 Posts
I was checking a few .223s yesterday. Most of them fell right in but a few took a very slight amount of thumb pressure! I would accept those as "good".

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
or should I consider it good if I have to apply light pressure to get it flush?
That P716 will send the round into the chamber with a bit more than "a bit of light pressure" ;)
This also means that if a round does not fit, it will be pretty well stuck. If you are not familiar with "mortaring" you may want to look it up since it is an easy and effective way to remove a stuck round.
b.t.w. in my experience the forward assist only makes sure the round it really stuck instead of just stuck.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Got to work on some of the cases during the holiday weekend. I ran some of the misfits through the small base die and they drop right in the gauge. Do I need to keep these cases separate since they have a slightly smaller diameter, or would I be able to put them in with the rest?

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
That makes sense GD, appreciate it; the failures threw off my normal routine. So, these were rounds I had reloaded earlier but ended up pulling the bullets because they had alot of extraction issues. Kind of the process that I have been using (after the bullet is pulled); case gauge, trim, caliper check, resize, case gauge (then caliper if it fails). The case length seems to stay the same, but the head still sticks out of the gage.

Sorry, noob reloader.
Rather than using a case gauge have you tried cycling them through your action?

·
Super Moderator
42,744 Posts
Got to work on some of the cases during the holiday weekend. I ran some of the misfits through the small base die and they drop right in the gauge. Do I need to keep these cases separate since they have a slightly smaller diameter, or would I be able to put them in with the rest?
No real need to separate them, unless you just want to.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts