The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am researching what I need to reload for a Winchester 94 32-40. According to winchesterguns.com and oldguns.net, my serial number indicates it was made in 1909. My gunsmith has done a deep clean on it and has declared it shootable. I want to reload for it, but am having trouble finding the bullets I want. I live in a condo and do not want to get involved with casting bullets. I have to buy them premade.

Does anyone know who sells 32-40 lead bullets (.320 to .321 in. dia.), 160 to 205 gr, with a gas check? I can find them without a GC, but I'm having a heck of a time finding any that come with a GC.

Google searches are not yielding results I want.

·
Premium Member
13,029 Posts
How fast are you wanting to drive them? Plain based bullets that correctly fit the rifle's bore/throat can be driven to 1600 fps with no problems. The 32-40 was never a hot rod and it was a long favored target cartridge with most cast loads running around 1600 fps or less.

I don't know that I've ever seen cast, gas checked bullets for sale, good question. One would think someone would be offering them.

Google doesn't do a lot of things....like EVER get pulled up on my computer.

Reactions: jim brady and Broot

·
Well-Known Mumbler
Aromatherapy 😍
4,293 Posts

·
Well-Known Mumbler
Aromatherapy 😍
4,293 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,029 Posts
The diameter needed can't honestly be known until the bore is slugged. Better slug the bore and see what the groove diameter is.

I've used the 32 Win. Spl. jacketed bullets in my 8.15 X 46R which is a near twin to the 32-40. They were ok but the cast shot better. Just one of those quirks of riflery.

Reactions: Broot

·
Registered
7,843 Posts
Haven't been into town for a Gun Show for a long time, but quite often there will be dealers who sell a wide assortment of bullets - including cast bullets. I totally agree that the Poster needs to slug his barrel as the FIRST step. Compared to proficient reloading, slugging a bore is pretty simple.

I was surprised as to just how many ".32-40"s there were.....
.32-40 Ballard
.32-40 Bullard (Yes, BULLARD)
.32-40 Remington
.32-40 Remington-Hepburn
.32-40 Winchester
.32-40-150 (2.1") also .32-40 Remington-Hepburn
.32-40-165 also .32-40 Winchester

Next time you watch an old Western movie - listen for the guy who goes into the General Store and says "I need a box of shells for this here rifle gun". If I was the Store Keeper I'd be saying 'WTF, Over?'

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the great feedback. I found what I needed from Montana Bullet Works. And if they run out, I can get my bullets from Gardners Cache.

·
Premium Member
13,029 Posts
Good for you!! That's also good info for a lot of us to keep on hand so thanks for posting it. .001 to .003 over groove diameter is sort of a general rule for cast bullets so if you can start in that range it should shoot at least satisfactorily. Then you can dial it in. That's part of the romance and fun of working with old cartridges and rifles, finding out what they like.

Reactions: mikld and Broot
1 - 9 of 9 Posts