The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wonder what or why nobody used the Tokarev round in a revolver. Maybe the pressure is too high. We have seen progression from 32 SW long to 32 H&R Mag to 327 FBI Mag so why not a Tokarev?

Any obvious reason that escapes me? BR

·
Registered
17,292 Posts
Bottleneck cartridges do not work well in revolvers. They tend to jam the gun.

·
Premium Member
13,254 Posts
I wonder what or why nobody used the Tokarev round in a revolver. Maybe the pressure is too high. We have seen progression from 32 SW long to 32 H&R Mag to 327 FBI Mag so why not a Tokarev?

Any obvious reason that escapes me? BR
Rimless cartridge cases aren't well suited for use in revolvers. Aside from the obvious extraction glitch to overcome, without a case rim the 7.62x25mm would be headspacing on the shoulder, which in itself has the potential for creating problems.

·
Registered
5,354 Posts
There already exists the 32-20, 80GR bullet at 2100 FPS, Why chamber another obsolete caliber that is not even designed for revolver use. Just my way of thinking. On the same vein, why not a 30 Mauser or 30 Luger revolver, the 7.62X25 was copied from those cartridges, almost an exact copy. Only rarely have the Russians ever designed something unique, they will take a Western concept, tinker with it, and call it Russian, they are very good at that.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts