The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have ownership of a Harrington&Richardson Arms Co.USA PAT. Oct.8 1895,found,stamped on top of the 3 inch barrel .
32 S&W CTGE is found stamped on the left side of the barrel . The serial number found on the butt of this revolver grip is 331257.This gun holds 5 rounds.The barrel is a blued metal finnish. There is no hammer to cock. This gun fired until it was left in my unheated camp over the winter.
Now the trigger is somehow obstructed.Perhaps it is due to humidity .
Anyone interested and knowledgeable about this antique firearm is encouraged to help me decide what is the proper course of action. I still keep 45 rounds of ammunition,and would like to enjoy a shoot, or put on the market.
Best regards,
Mathstring

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
Pics would be helpful.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
...I have researched Mr Goforth's informative referances here by myself. In general, it appears to be a 1909-1912 2nd variation. Imagining the next step is to find a qualified expert gunsmith close by. Still would welcome others to weigh-in on the subjects not covered in past threads and posts here.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Claro. Thanks to the tips for close-up pictures found [email protected] the forum, I plan to get a styrofoam cup and use it to diffuse the flash on my digital camera .I hope to upload the 'gunpics' here without to much delay. The piece has mild to moderately visible signs of corrosion.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Guns of this type are not very viable as weapons or target shooters today. They were intended for short-range self defence, but 32 S&W (short) is one of the most ineffectual cartridges available today. The price of gunsmithing on them is usually more than their value.

Shooting them now is like taking pictures with a 100 year old box camera - you can do it if you are willing to spend the money, but aside from the novelty, there is not much practical reason to (IMO).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for articulating what my gut instinct was telling me.Now it is a matter of time before a certified H&R gunsmith is able to convince me that the time and effort to restore this revolver is worth more than the parts. best regards.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Have you removed the grips for a look-see underneath?

·
Banned
5,428 Posts
They aren't worth much. I have a US Revolver Co. .32 that I paid 38 bucks for. Mine works fine and since some of the old ammo you find tends to be black powder cartridges they are a hoot to shoot. I keep mine in the truck in case we ever hit a deer that doesn't die I can put it out of it's misery. Taking them apart isn't so difficult, putting them back together is more complicated. Gunsmiths will seldom touch them since the repair cost is higher than buying another one. Parts aren't very cheap either. My recommendation is to NOT take it to a gunsmith. There are exploded diagrams available on the net. Download one, take it apart and figure out what part is having a problem then try to find that part and fix it yourself. They aren't all that complicated internally. Definitely check under the grips first since that's where the trigger spring is.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts