The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16,893 Posts
I'm going to take a guess at what you are asking.

Back in the early part of the 20th century there was a gun maker - H&R. And they made pocket pistols chambered in a very common round - 32 S&W.

A little while later Smith & Wesson lengthened the case of their 32, so they could put more powder in it and make it more powerful. This new round became the 32 Smith & Wesson Long. And H&R chambered the revolvers in this new cartridge. You could shoot 32 S&W in guns chambered in 32 S&W Long, since it was the same cartridge, just shorter.

Around 1980 H&R got into the cartridge business. They took the 32 S&W Long and made the case longer so they could put in more powder and make it more powerful. They named this new cartridge the 32 H&R Magnum. Not 32 HR. 32 H&R Magnum. Guns chambered in 32 H&R Magnum could safely fire 32 S&W and 32 S&W long.

Seems like it was around the year 2000 when Federal decided they could do H&R one better. They took the 32 H&R Magnum and lengthened the case so they could put in more powder and make it more powerful. They called this round the 327 Federal Magnum.

If you have a 327 Federal, you can also shoot 32 H&R Magnum, 32 S&W, and 32 S&W long.

If you have a 32 H&R Magnum, you can safely shoot 32 S&W and 32 S&W long.

If you have a 32 S&W long you can safely shoot 32 S&W.

All of these cartridges have the same diameter case and shoot the same diameter bullet. The difference is in the length of the cartridge case and the power of the cartridge.

As to whether 32 H&R Magnum is still being made - I don't know. Since they came out with the 327 Federal cartridge they have quit making guns in 32 H&R Magnum, but I'm sure the cartridge is still being made since there are guns available to fire it. But I don't know for sure.

There is no such thing as the 32 Winchester rimfire.

There is a 22 Winchester rimfire, aka 22 magnum.

There is a 32 Winchester centerfire, aka 32/20.

I think you have possibly got those two cartridges mixed together in your mind.

If your last question was supposed to be how does the 32 H&R Magnum compared to the 32 Winchester centerfire, all the gun writers, when the H&R cartridge first came out, said that you could now get 32 WCF power in a straight wall case.

If you can believe gun writers.

·
Premium Member
11,171 Posts
The latter two aspired to be the 32-20, or 32 Winchester Centerfire. The hoops some will jump through to achieve what was already done over 100 years ago.

Reactions: pdkfishing
1 - 6 of 6 Posts