The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
having trouble with cz50 feeding my reloads.
3-5 shots, cartridge jams in the action, looks like (every time) the nose is stuck above the chamber.
my question being should I shorten or lengthen the OAL to cure this or go with more or less propellant or what.
looking for a starting point.
85gr. hollow point , 3 gr unique, .950 OAL.
factory length (PMC, 60gr FMJ) is .951 feed fairly well.
thanks in advance

·
Super Moderator
39,828 Posts
I was having the same problem with my CZ-50 when I first got it. It shot factory ammo without a bit of problems but would not cycle my reloads. I tried more powder (until I reached max) and changed the OAL / pretty much everything I could think, of but nothing changed. I finally decided to change the powder from Titegroup to 700X and with only 1.8 grains of it with a 75 grain lead bullet at .965-.968 OAL, the jamming stopped. I also load a 71 grain FMJ bullet with a different powder (don't have that info handy) and they work fine also. I still have problems with the magazines but that is a totally different problem.

My first suggestion would be up the powder just a little and if that doesn't work change powders.

·
Registered
7,639 Posts
Your problem might not be so much the powder charge, but the hollow point bullet. A lot of the earlier semi auto pistols don't feed anything but round nose FMJ bullets reliably. As far as AOL, I advise to stick with the AOL stated in your manual. Deeper seating will increase your chamber pressures.

·
Premium Member
12,230 Posts
It could be the bullet. Ha, I was going where jim went. I never shoot anything in my 50 but factory, FMJ's and they always function. I wouldn't shoot HP's in a any handgun anyway. It's possible the lip or edge of the HP bullet is catching the ramp or just banging into it. I agree, don't seat it deeper. The 50 is just a blow back action and they don't need anymore pressure than necessary.

·
Super Moderator
26,796 Posts
I think jim has a point, ditch the hollow points and try fmj round nose. I had one years ago (wish I never got rid of it) and it didn't like anything but round nose fmj bullets.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for all the info. got a bag of bulk round nose 70gr at a gun show years ago that i just found ,
gonna try them.
Also, after i posted this thread i realized i had misrepresented the OAL of the factory stuff, it's actually .921
the bullits im using are xtp not standard hollow points. they're hollow point but skinny at the front, similar in size/shape to the fmj.
have some 2400, gonna try that & shorten things up a little & see what happens.
i'll beat on it till i get it right. this is my carry piece & want something with a little more grunt as factory ammo with round nose bullits just doesn't seem to me to be stopping power. ( friends tell me "too small,ur just gonna piss 'em off )
Thanks again for all ur good advice, i'll keep you all posted.

·
Premium Member
12,230 Posts
Tell ya what, why don't you stand against the wall about 8 ft. away and let someone take a pop at you and we'll see exactly how PO'ed you'll be.

With the 32 you're better off with the FMJ's. We don't have much of anything, velocity, fpe, bullet weight or much else with the little cartridge and I seriously doubt a HP is going to improve anything in such a small cartridge to begin with. All it will do is inhibit penetration....what little there is.

·
Registered
5,421 Posts
Even modern 32acps are known to be temperamental with HP. I believe that many if not most who rely on them for CC just use hot “very relative term on 32acp” 71 FMJ. Had a Tomcat twenty some years ago. Kept a silver tip in the chamber and magazine full of fmj. Didn’t keep it too long, it never inspired much confidence. Traded it for a 12 gauge coach gun. The 32acp was one of the guns I let go and never missed.

·
Registered
8,504 Posts
Keep in mind for the “smaller” rounds used for defense (.32 or smaller, .25 and .22, though some say .380 too and I’m not too excited about my 9 mm Mak) don’t get hung up on expansion, worry about penetration. Most of the “little guys” struggle to hit the “magical” 11-12” penetration considered minimum for self defense with fmjs even on ballistic gelatin without any clothing or bones getting in the way.

If you manage to get expansion you will not get half that if you’re lucky with a .32. Put a couple layers of clothing on the “target,” and there’s every chance unless you get a lot more velocity on it the nose is going to clog and act like a solid anyway.

The main reason people carry .32s and .25s and not something bigger is simply ease of carry due to size, AND because of their better reliability versus the smaller rim fires...but with FMJ!!! Everybody would carry rimfires if they were more reliable in small autos.

The”little guys” are viable for defense only because the only thing more “convenient” is no gun at all. But they excel at being “better than nothing.”😉

But as per the malfunctions with the hollow points, try loading to a LONGER OAL as much as you can so they still fit the mags...many times the hps “act” shorter than FMJ s due to the nose profile even though they measure the same, will hit the feed ramp and go up at a steeper angle and the bullet will jam against the bottom of the slide keeping it from going home.

jmho😎

·
Registered
8,504 Posts
And oh yeah, don’t forget to PRACTICE. Bullet placement is everything, but especially with the little guys. Find the range your skills and firearm can GUARANTEE keeping the entire magazine inside of 2”. Even if it’s only 5 feet! Then you know your limitations, and can work on extending that range with further practice.

Ballistics don’t matter much if you can keep your shots in the “magic triangle.”

Which is why I will never question a person’s choice of ANY firearm for CCW. The important thing is to cross that bridge and decide to carry.

Even a NAA mini revolver in .22 short is a “viable defense weapon” if the shooter knows his or her limitations with it...

·
Registered
7,639 Posts
The Germans were never known for using 'whimpy cartridges'. They German Police, Army and the German Air Force used the .32 Automatics (7.65 Browning) and the .380s (9mm Corto) for a reason: they were good at close range for defense. The 9X18 Makarov is a good cartridge. It falls somewhere between the 9X19 (9mm Luger) and the .380 (9X17). I feel confident carrying it loaded with proper ammunition.

The discussion about one caliber vs. another is an old one. There have been some very good calibers that became obsolete. Two that come to mind are the .38 Auto and the long obsolete 7.65 French. The .38 Auto is on par with the 9mm Luger, while the 7.65 French is about the same as a .32 H&R Magnum in performance. I think marketing has a lot to do with it.

·
Premium Member
12,230 Posts
Well said polish, well said, I agree. I will never understand the fascination with HP's in a handgun, especially "the little guys", as you call them. All they achieve is to make a marginal cartridge less marginal.

·
Super Moderator
39,828 Posts
I don't give a rat's patoot about penetration or expansion. I would never once think about those thing if I had to shoot someone. Two in the chest and one in the head and if that don't slow them down, I guess they gonna catch me and whoop my ahh butt.

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
thanks for all the info. got a bag of bulk round nose 70gr at a gun show years ago that i just found ,
gonna try them.
Also, after i posted this thread i realized i had misrepresented the OAL of the factory stuff, it's actually .921
the bullits im using are xtp not standard hollow points. they're hollow point but skinny at the front, similar in size/shape to the fmj.
have some 2400, gonna try that & shorten things up a little & see what happens.
i'll beat on it till i get it right. this is my carry piece & want something with a little more grunt as factory ammo with round nose bullits just doesn't seem to me to be stopping power. ( friends tell me "too small,ur just gonna piss 'em off )
Thanks again for all ur good advice, i'll keep you all posted.
Only do head shots. That's all I got.

·
Premium Member
12,230 Posts
The Germans were never known for using 'whimpy cartridges'. They German Police, Army and the German Air Force used the .32 Automatics (7.65 Browning) and the .380s (9mm Corto) for a reason: they were good at close range for defense. The 9X18 Makarov is a good cartridge. It falls somewhere between the 9X19 (9mm Luger) and the .380 (9X17). I feel confident carrying it loaded with proper ammunition.

The discussion about one caliber vs. another is an old one. There have been some very good calibers that became obsolete. Two that come to mind are the .38 Auto and the long obsolete 7.65 French. The .38 Auto is on par with the 9mm Luger, while the 7.65 French is about the same as a .32 H&R Magnum in performance. I think marketing has a lot to do with it.
jim, it is and always has been a popularity contest. I expect most on here could mention a long list of cartridges that are no longer with us that are as good as anything out there today.

·
Registered
8,504 Posts
Read a good article somewhere about how cartridges of a lot less power were once considered “adequate “ for self defense or police work but now are not. Had a good theory that at one time people had a lot more “experience” with witnessing people getting shot and had a healthy “respect” for NOT getting shot with anything, and that getting shot with ANYTHING many times meant you died...either quickly if you were lucky or slowly and painfully weeks later from the infection...either way you were probably going to die. Hence even the .41 rim fire from the Remington derringer that had trouble penetrating a leather vest over the card table scared the heck out of you, and the .32 Long was considered good for police😉

But now, with modern medicine, we hear of people surviving gun shots, and most perps have only “witnessed” shootings on video games, on television and at the movies, and “see” victims survive all the time so “bad guys” have lost that “healthy respect” for getting shot.

Plus more synthetic and hallucinogenic drugs today, but that’s another story...😉

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
I have a Savage 1917 in 32 short but seldom ever use it. Just look's puny to me! Make a good hide away gun and practically no recoil. Also have a 32 long mod 16 S&W. Really enjoy shooting it, fun gun and accurate. But carry gun's for me start at 9mm. Of course I'd as soon not even be shot with a 22 RF!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts