357 blast

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 1952Sniper, Mar 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1952Sniper

1952Sniper New Member

ysacres
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/27/03 7:09:42 pm)
    Reply 357 blast
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Everytime I shoot a 357 mag, Gong bells ring in my head like i've been in church all day.
    Who can explain why the decibel level of 357 is greater than a hot grinder on cold galvanised steel ?

Li'tl Brown truck just pulled into the driveway with the new Puter!.... YEEEEE HAWWWW
    X gets the firearms flying fickle finger of fate award!

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (1/27/03 7:20:14 pm)
    Re: 357 blast
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Is this with or without earplugs? I can't shoot any handgun bigger than a .22 without them. The pain is excrutiating.

I am a firm believer in hearing protection

Ignorance is a crime in 49 states. In the other one it is bliss.

ysacres
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/27/03 8:24:52 pm)
    Reply Re: 357 blast
    The frist time was with a Dan Wesson without ear plugs, yep big mistake! Then a S&W model 19 and Ruger GP 100 with the plugs inserted, It just seems like more noise than the 44 mag.

Im OUT.......getting the puter on line
    X gets the firearms flying fickle finger of fate award!

Zigzag2
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (1/27/03 9:32:38 pm)
    good luck with the puter ys'

kdub01
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (1/27/03 9:53:21 pm)
    If'n ya put a 18" or 22" bbl on thet handgun, it wudn't be so loud 'n cantankerous!!
    "Keep Off The Ridgeline"

armedandsafe
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/27/03 11:43:49 pm)
    Try plugs with muffs over the top. Works for me.

Armed and Safe - not just a theory

Zigzag2
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (1/28/03 7:14:29 am)
    Re: 357 blast
    Whachu' Say?

Jbobin
    (1/28/03 2:18:02 pm)
    Reply Blastology
    I routinely shoot my Model 19 while standing next to my Brother, who shoots the 44mag in . He says the same thing - "Why is your Model 19 rattling my teeth so much".

I don't think the caliber differences mean the .44mag is louder that the .357mag. I think it is in the frequency of the sound. The 357 has this weird distinct high frequency crack (sonic) whereas the 44mag seems to be a lower frequency. Maybe the resonance of the 357 matches more closely to the density of our bones or something, thus vibrating them in a different and more effective/irratating manner.

Just an offhand guess...

Jb

ysacres
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/29/03 1:09:25 am)
    Reply I'm back
    Jb
    I think my bone density is getting thin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.