The Firearms Forum banner

.357 Magnum vs .40 & .45

10K views 67 replies 17 participants last post by  Bazurkur 
#1 ·
So originally I was lookig for a model 625 S&W to be my carry gun due to being a tall and thick guy for a good size balance. However this past Sunday I was in my local Armory for a few hours and many of the people there (costumers and employees) pointed me toward the .357 Magnum and was looking for any info for why it would just as good/better than a .40/.45 cal. Any info is useful and appreciated :)

#2 ·
The .357 mag is time tested and proven itself over many years. Reloading supplies are available in most places. The .357 is comfortable for most people to shoot.
The .45 ACP also has a long history and has been battle proven. I find it a pleasure to shoot and it also has reloading supplies in most places.
My CC gun is a .40 (P95 Ruger) and I reload for it for practice at the range. Factory ammo for carry purposes.
I don't think you can go wrong with any of the three. Shoot them all and see which YOU like best. Or better yet, buy all three,

#4 ·
A 357 does have some advantages. If using factory ammo y0u can go as wild or as mild as you want. From kick-ass 357s all the way down to wussy 38 target wadcutters.

According to the people that keep track of things like that, the most one-shot-stops are delivered by 357s using a 125 JHP. This isn't theorized. This is people checking, all around the country, shootings, and finding out what has worked best in real life. Around 95% one-shot stops.

But there are those of us who live in the BIG BULLET world. IF that hollowpoint opens, then it expands to, maybe, 45 caliber. IF. And what do you have? A 125 grain 45 diameter bullet. Since the 45 STARTS at 45, it does not need to expand, and it weighs almost twice as much.

My carry of choice is a 1911 in 45. My favorite pistol is a Smith 625.

I guess what I'm saying is, there ain't nothing wrong with a 357, but there also ain't nothing wrong with a 45. Don't let the gun-shop-commandos change your mind.

Get what you want.

Reactions: todd51
#5 ·
I say buy all three! You simply can not have to many guns! I don't own a .40, but I do own a .357, and a .45. I carry the .45, but not the .357. I also carry a .44 special. The only bad thing about the .357 is over penetration. If that 125 grain bullet, or the 158 grain bullet doesn't open up, then it's just like ball ammo, and will probably pass right on thru. The bigger bullets are slower than the .357, and of course, larger in diameter. They slow down a lot faster. If I were going to carry the .357 it would be 125 grain bullets. They are moving fast enough that they will most likely expand, and come to a stop before a pass thru. And all three calibers make good hunting rounds to boot!

#6 ·
I agree with the others. While the debate is part of what makes guns so fascinating, the reality is that any of these calibers make great SD choices. Want a single action semi-auto, the 1911 is the most tried and true weapon you can buy. If you like DA autos the .45 and .40 are both widely available. In revolvers the .357 will bring as much wallop as you need and has the advantage of accepting .38 Special loads for target and practice work. You should shoot what you want. And Carver is right, at some point get all 3 :)

#8 ·
I plan on having a few guns in the future but would like to get my carry gun first. So, from what I'm gathering is that I should test a .357, .40, and .45 and get a feel for weight in hand and concealed along with how the gun handles and fires? I'll have to contact my local armory (they have their own range) and set up a appointment. Is there any other info I should know before going for a test fire?

PS- For anyone who has a shotgun, I have a Shotgun post as well and would love any info you could give me. :D

http://www.thefirearmsforum.com/threads/calling-all-shotgun-owners.146398/

#9 ·
I have a colt python .357 with 6' barrel. It is a smooth trigger pull and quite accurate. It is too large for me to carry concealed, but I carry it in the woods loaded with shot and hollow points for snakes and varmits

#10 ·
Choosing a carry gun is such a personal thing. Your choice doesn't need to be defended beyond the fact that it is the one you like. If you want a revolver then go for it. Looking at S$W revolvers for carry I personally think the large N framed choice get pretty large for personal carry but again if you like it go for it. I would suggest you look long at the S&W choices in .357 mag. There are the K framed model 19 and 66 and then the L framed choices in 586 and 686. A wide variety of barrel lengths are available with both the K and L framed choices. These smaller framed revolvers are going to lend themselves to concealed carry better than those large N framed guns. This all my personal feeling. But heck man if you want to carry one of those big honking N framed 45s then go for it.

#11 ·
Well I will definatly be looking into something with a 4-5 inch barrel with a large handel with a medium sized body (sorry don't know anything about frames). I will be looking mostly at S&W but there are a few Ruger Revolvers that look like they could have what I need.

#13 ·
Frames. In the picture I posted, in your other thread, with the three guns, that is Smith frame sizes. I made that for my son-in-law, to help him see the difference.

The J frame is the smallest. It was originally a six-shot 32. Then they made it in 38, but because of the larger diameter cartridges they could only fit five in there. It now also comes in 357, for the masochists among us. That one in the picture is a six-shot 22.

Next up is the K frame. It is the perfect 38-size holster gun. Six shot 38 special. They do make it in 357, also, for them that carry more than they shoot. That one is a 38.

The big one is the N frame. It was designed for the 44 special, but has been chambered in 38 special, 357, 40 Smith/10mm, 41 magnum, 44 special, 44 magnum, 44/40, 45 ACP and 45 Colt. The one in the picture is a 45 ACP.

There is also the L frame. Smith decided that 357 was a little much for a K frame, so went to an almost identical size-and-shape of the Colt Python, and called it the L. Bigger than the K, but smaller and lighter than the N. This is an L-frame five-shot 44 special above a K-frame six-shot 357.

#15 ·
I have been carrying a Rugar Sp101 in .357 for quite some time and it is very versatile I can even pocket carry it if I am wearing a shirt that is tucked in with no coat as I often do at church. Many consider the sp101 a bit too large and heavy for pocket carry, but it works for me. The bit of extra weight tames the recoil a bit but it still not a fun gun to shoot. Putting a hunfpdred rounds through it is bit of a chore.

You may wish to consider getting a .357 that you can pocket carry. My sp101 weighs 25 oz and kicks almost as much as my heavy super red hawk in .44 magnum. I have never shot the lightweight scandium models at 12 oz, but I have heard that they are quite horrible to shoot.

The head of Center Target Sports stated when he was doing body guard duty for a Saudi Prince, he carried the scandium .357 in a swim suit on his yacht. He shoots it once a month, 5 shots only and states it is not fun. He always pocket carries the .357 as a BUG along with his .45 main carry.

The .40 or the .45 has higher capacity magazines but is more difficult to conceal. It will be my winter gun. I went with the sig P229 in .40 because I have small hands and the double stack .45 is a bit too large for me. The p229 is very comfortable for me and the recoil is more manageable than my .357 so recoil issues are not a big deal for me. The sig also has a decocker letting me carry with double action the first shot for added safety measures.

So, you may need to get more than one. The revolver can be reloaded with speed loaders but it is still much slower than magazines in a semiauto. So depending on several factors, fit the carry gun to your individual needs and clothing choices.

If you find a .45 which is comfortable to shoot, remember, the .45 has slightly more power than the .40 and is slightly larger when mushroomed,then choose the .45 over the .40. Once again, with my small hands, the sig P229 was my best choice but that may not be your best choice. All handguns are poor man stoppers. Go with the largest you can shoot and carry comfortably and consider a revolver and a semi auto combination for different types of clothes. If you pocket carry, get a pocket holster.

That is how I approach this issue with my own carry. Good luck, you can't go wrong with any of the calibers mentioned.

#16 ·
If you want an L or a K frame, you can't go with a 45 - they don't make one. They do make the L in 44 magnum (model 69), but it's only five shots. They used to make a 44 special (the 696, that one in my picture) but it was also only five shots (size of hole required versus size of cylinder - not room for six), and it's been discontinued.

Except for that one 44 magnum, the biggest you can go with an L or K is 357.

#25 ·
You want a big bore pistol, but you don't want a lot of weight, is that right? I have started carrying the Charter Arms Bull Dog, in .44 special. The ammo is hard to find, for SD, cowboy ammo is all over the place. I carry one in a holster on my right hip, and one in my right front pocket. Plus two speed strips in the left front pocket. These pistols weigh in at around 21 oz., cost around $400. And you would not believe how accurate the .44 special is! You won't need 4" of barrel, these guns shoot! There are a couple of the members here at TFF that have seen me shoot this pistol at 100 yards, and a few that have shot it at 100 yards also.
Gun Revolver Everyday carry Trigger Starting pistol

#21 ·
I've only owned a couple of .357's in the past, a Ruger Blackhawk flat-top and a German double action which I don't recall the mfr. It was made in Suhl, Germany.

The Blackhawk had the short barrel and was very loud and had quite a kick but was fun to shoot if you had ear protection. The German gun was kicked very hard and it tore up the web of my thumb with every shot. Hated that gun and dumped it,

The Ruger SP-101 is a great looking little gun but I don't think I'd enjoy shooting .357's through it and would opt for the larger and heaver GP100, but that's me.

Actually, when I think about buying another .357, maybe a Blackhawk with 6.5" or 7.5" barrel to add a little weight and better noise control.

#22 ·
I say try them all, but when trying them, do so in combat situation scenarios. Think firing three rounds rapidly while considering target acquisition after each shot, muzzle flash in dimly lit situations, and reliability/accuracy of each weapon. Case in point, I had a rabid raccoon come at me in the night. The first shot from my .357 had such a bright muzzle blast it took away my night vision for a moment. Luckily I had connected with the first shot which turned the ole **** into a canoe.
You may want to go with this schedule... Sundays are .40 caliber days, Mondays Wensday and Friday are .357, in between days are .45.......:)

#23 ·
Ok so the article is very helpful so thank you drymag. Now as for the other comments I'm now a bit nervous abouttge .357s kick. I have no trouble firing a Snub-Nosed Governor loaded with either .45ACP or 410 shells so how would I handle the .357s kick?

#24 ·
gun weight makes a bit of difference. A large bbld 357 kicks less than a snub due to mass. A large cyl on a gov is mass. Still if you are firing significant handgun rounds, the 357 is just another significant one.
my handgun progression was as follows

25, 380, 9, 45acp, 44mag., for many years that was it till I got into oddities like 45winmag 44amp, 30 carbine pistol, all the odd bottlenecks, and eventual 500 swmag. I can fire all one handed, but the 500 needs 2 hands, especially for hope of a follow up shot. 44mag is nice one hand, still comfortable. You will lil the 357 I think

#26 ·
My daughter - little girl, ain't she? - had no trouble with anything on the table,

which went from 25 auto (middle front), up to 454 Casull (top left) and included both 44 magnum (3rd from bottom on left) and 357 magnum (2nd from top on right).

In that table-o-guns are 22 LR, 25, 380, 9mm, 38 special, 357, 40 S&W, 44 Russian, 44 Special, 44 Magnum, 45 ACP (both auto and revolver), 45 Colt and 454 Casull. In normal guns, made of steel, recoil ain't that big a thing.

It's when you get into the extreme lightweight "don't know you've got it with you" guns that recoil starts to hurt.

#27 ·
I'm kinda like you Alpo, it's the small light weight guns that are snappy on the recoil. I have an LCP in .380, it's OK for me, but the wife don't like the recoil. I also have a Taurus PT 58 HC Plus in .380 that holds 20 bullets in a double stack mag, with a 4" barrel, and it's a pleasure to shoot. Same caliber, just a larger/heavier gun.

#28 ·
Big calibers have heavy recoil, it's part of the deal. With a given caliber and load, the lighter and shorter the gun, the more recoil you will feel. My Kimber Pro Carry (4" with alloy frame) carries nicely but recoils much more than my standard all steel 1911's, and the Model 60 that I carry daily recoils noticeably harder than my Model 19's and my 686.

Tolerance for recoil is, in part, a function of practice. Revolver or pistol, shooting takes practice and shooting DA takes lots of practice. IMO if you don't practice a lot you shouldn't carry.

#29 ·
Now, that's interesting. My Kimber Pro (bottom left in the picture) kicks less than full-size guns. It's because of the way the gun is made. They undercut the trigger guard a little, so the hand fits higher on the gun (or the gun sits lower in the hand - take your pick). While (since it is both smaller AND made of aluminum) it has more FREE RECOIL than a full-size government model, it has less APPARENT RECOIL, since it kicks differently.

Same theory behind Mr. Stoner's plastic rifle. The buttstock is in a straight line with the barrel, instead of being slightly below it (like on most rifles and shotguns), and because the recoil hits you differently, you feel less kick. It has the same actual recoil - 223 in a 6-pound rifle kicks the same as any other 223 in a 6-pound rifle - but it feels less.

#35 ·
I get the theory but in practice it sure seems to kick harder to me. I don't really care for mine, it's my least favorite handgun that I own. Mostly I don't like the fit and finish. Lots of rough metal work.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.