The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered some Starline .357 cases.
When they arrived they were .357 Maximum case.

Can these be shot in a standard .357 pistol or rifle?

I have 700 of these and have been trimming the cases to 1.290".

Thank you,
Dale

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
No as to the 357 Max fitting in a 357 Mag chamber. The 357 Maximum is .312”-5/16” longer then the 357 Magnum. If you were to manage to chamber a Max in a Mag chamber, bad things will happen to the gun and possibly you.

As for trimming the cases to 357 Mag length, you shouldn’t have a problem with that, but you should call Starline to find out they feel it’s OK.

I looked at Starline’s website and see that 357 Magnum cases are on back order. Maybe Starline mite compensate you for the mix up.

·
Premium Member
9,509 Posts
Quick answer is NOPE. Just like trying to chamber 357’s and a 38 Special. As you’ve already found out you can trim them down to 357 length and be good to go but that’s a lot of work. If it were me I’d order a Contender with a 357 Max barrel and reorder the correct brass for your current gun. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did not think they would fit.
I have a mill and made a fixture to hold 3 cases at a time.
One pass and the cases are within .003" then run them through my sizer.

I ain't got nuthin else to do.

Thanks for the replies,
Dale

·
Premium Member
9,509 Posts
If ya care to know. I believe the 357 Max was originally chambered in a revolver. Darn things had so much power they were blowing off the top straps. Always thought they make a heck of a lever-gun.

·
Registered
4,233 Posts
If ya care to know. I believe the 357 Max was originally chambered in a revolver. Darn things had so much power they were blowing off the top straps. Always thought they make a heck of a lever-gun.
The 357Max makes a GREAT lever gun.
I have rechambered a few NEF single shot rifles for a few people and the reply I get most of the time is "WOW ". A hot loaded 357Max in a rifle is no pussy cat.

·
Registered
5,247 Posts
Blowing off top straps!? There were issues but I think it was minor to moderate flame cutting on the top strap when lighter projectiles were used. Many felt they pulled the plug in a panic, that it could have been resolved with different powders and limiting the loads to 158 grains and heavier. Too bad it would have been one heck of a woods pistol.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I had one of the Dan Wesson .357 Max revolvers. It came with two barrels. Flame cutting of the top strap was a issue, but as said in an earlier post, the use of heavier bullets, and different powders alleviated that problem. The gun was quite heavy, but it was very accurate. I wish now that I did not sell it to my brother-in-law. Been trying to buy it back from him, but he won't part with it. He says it is the most accurate revolver he has ever owned. I finally gave up trying to get the gun back and bought a Freedom Arms 353. That gun is built like a tank, and loads that would be too hot for any other .357 are just fine in the 353. I am just 150 FPS less from a 180 grain bullet in the 6" barreled 353 that I got with the same bullet in the 8" DW Max.

·
Registered
10,066 Posts
Here’s the 357 Maximum story:

Back in the 1980’s there was a silhouette competition for pistols out to 200 yards. The 357 Maximum was invented to compete in that contest (most likely?). A Dan Wesson revolver in that caliber based on the heavy duty Dan Wesson 44 Mag frame was offered. Ruger saw the potential and chambered their revolver in 357 Maximum, too. Both gun designs suffered frame cutting of the top strap and eventually excessive forcing cone erosion from the rifle level gas pressure of this cartridge. The flame cutting would get just so deep and stop. But Ruger punted and dropped their version. Dan Wesson just supplied an extra barrel with every new gun. There were also Contender barrels for this cartridge as well and they apparently did not suffer the gas erosion problems (???). I never heard of any revolver top strap folded back in these guns. Colt SAA’s and S&W revolvers have suffered that from reloading errors in other calibers.

I have both the Dan Wesson revolver and the Contender barrel. Neither gun is tough on the shooter with recoil. The power of this cartridge was way over hyped. It did shoot flatter (to get those 200 yard silhouettes). The Dan Wesson is heavy and big which certainly helps in recoil.

As for using 357 Maximum brass (trimmed to 357 Mag length) in a 357 Mag gun, would have me worried that the case wall might be thicker and loaded ammo might not fit the chamber’s of a 357 Magnum correctly when reloaded. Your supplier could tell you if this is a good idea or not. I would at least contact them. A test might be to check if a reloaded trimmed 357 Maximum cartridges falls into the chambers of your 357 Mag guns.

LDBennett

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well the maximum cases won't work.
The bullet buckles the case and so does trying to flair the neck.

I contacted the seller to see if they would replace them.
Not likely, they appear to be a disorganized company.
Right hand appears not to know what the left is doing.

·
Registered
9,450 Posts
Well the maximum cases won't work.
The bullet buckles the case and so does trying to flair the neck.

I contacted the seller to see if they would replace them.
Not likely, they appear to be a disorganized company.
Right hand appears not to know what the left is doing.
I guess that means you'll just have to bite the bullet and get a .357 maximum so you can shoot them :)

·
Premium Member
9,509 Posts
Boy LD called that one. I think I I’d defer to my original suggestion and buy a 357 Max. Can’t let that brass go to waste.

·
DEPLORABLE member
1,967 Posts
Dale, I know I have some new .357 brass (100-300pcs) buried somewhere, & my neighbor showed me a gallon size coffee can full of new .357 brass that she found in a storage unit that she bought @ auction. Neither of us have a .357 firearm so let me do some research & I'll get back to you.

SR

Reactions: tedwitt

·
Registered
10,066 Posts
It is not surprising that the 357 Maximum cases (closer to the rim) are harder (or thicker) that 357 Magnum cases. If they are not thicker maybe neck annealing them will allow them to be usable IF they will chamber when loaded.

While 357 Magnum gas pressures are higher than 38 Special, the 357 Maximim gas pressure are rifle level, much higher than 357 Magnum. My recollection is that the 357 Maximum cartridge was designed for a TC
Contender which has a positive locking single shot rifle action (actually more like a single shot shotgun action). The gas pressures from the 357 Maximim were a walk in the park for a Contender. Dan Wesson's large framed revolver is a mighty beast and the 357 Maximum worked fine in it except for the top strap gas cutting and the barrel erosion. The gas cutting got so deep and stopped while Dan Wesson provided the guns with two barrels that were easily changed. Dan Wesson also offered a 44 SuperMag version as well. The Contender apparently did not have those problems, at east mine did not (??).

Back in the 1980's when I returned to shooting, I was infatuate with different calibers and had little money (single Dad recently divorced). An easy way to explore them all was with a Contender and many barrels, 10 and 14 inch barrels, 20 inch rifle barrels. The calibers available were from 22 LR to 45-70, including 30-30 based cartridges. You can still do that today, if you so desire. The newer Encore version includes 308 base cartridges.

LDBennett

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks SR.
Let me know the price if you find them.

I have 50 new brass 357 max if anyone wants them. Free of course and free shipping.

·
Premium Member
11,624 Posts
I'm not surprised. I suspect that as you get farther down the case body the brass gets thicker, most brass does, and flaring it or trying to seat a .358 bullet does crumple the case mouth.

Reactions: Suicide*Ride

·
DEPLORABLE member
1,967 Posts
I'm not surprised. I suspect that as you get farther down the case body the brass gets thicker, most brass does, and flaring it or trying to seat a .358 bullet does crumple the case mouth.
Sharps is right, and even if you do happen to seat a bullet w/o deformity - the heel will get jammed into the I. D. taper & increase the tension on bullet which increases the pressure exponentially and.... BOOM!

(ask me how I know)

SR

1 - 17 of 17 Posts