The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a .357 Ruger Blackhawk with a 6" barrel.
What kind of distance should I expect with good accuracy from the gun?

Thank you,
Dale

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Target accuracy or hunting accuracy? When I shot my .357 a lot, about 100 rounds or more a week in the Blackhawk, I could ring a steel gong at 100 yards with not problem. As far as hunting, that gun took several whitetails at distances out to 50 or 60 yards, which was my self imposed limit for a shot at game with that round.

The Ruger Blackhawk is a very good, acurate revolver, enjoy it!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the relies.
I was shooting at about 40 yards and missing every shot.

This is a used pistol and the sights seemed to be messed up.

·
Super Moderator
38,427 Posts
Try shooting at a closer target, using a sandbag, so you can get a better idea where the bullet is going. I end up shooting most of my pistols at 50 yards but I never start there!

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Thanks for the relies.
I was shooting at about 40 yards and missing every shot.

This is a used pistol and the sights seemed to be messed up.
The gun is new to you, and not knowing you experience with single actions or handguns in general, can I suggest you set your target up at 15 yards to start and when you are hitting it well move it out. Its hard to know where the last owner held his sights or what worked for him. Staring closer reduces your margin for misses.

Reactions: tedwitt

·
Premium Member
19,185 Posts
I would start at no more than 10 yards and work back. I can hit clay targets with mine at 50 yards using a sandbag rest.

·
Registered
802 Posts
I use a .357 Ruger Security Six for hunting and I sight it in at 100 yards off hand. I can hit a 8" pie plate at that distance consistently.
My farthest hit on a Whitetail was 92 yards on the run. I shot it thru the lungs and the 158 gr bullet was on the opposite side and under the hide.
Practice is where the accuracy plays it's part.

·
Premium Member
9,308 Posts
I guess I’m wondering what makes you think the sights are messed up. Post a few pictures and show us what you’re seeing.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I may have used the wrong wording on the sights.

They are OK no problem.
They are adjusted way out.

I tried to shoot from the front of my truck with a bag of rags.
I ran out of ammo and left.

I will try it again later.

Thanks to all for the replies,
Dale

·
Super Moderator
25,662 Posts
I'd try it again off of a good rest and move the target in a little and work out.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts