The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Premium Member
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting ready to load my first wacutter.

The wadcutter is a Berry's 148 g double end.
This wadcutter is plated.

The only load data I can find so far for a 148 bullet is Hodgdon.

I think I will try Hi Skor 700X first.
3.0 grains - 892 fps

For some reason this new bullet scares me. Is there anything I should look out for?

Thank you,
Dale

· Registered
37 Posts
I cast my own, powder coat em, load em and shoot em.....and do so quite often.
You should have no issues with those as long as ya carefully load em within currently published load data parameters.
I load em for target practice more than anything else, but I do keep a small dedicated handful that are loaded pretty darn hot...for defense. Waddcutters? For defense, ya say???
Way back in the mid-1980s, I shot with an old fella back then that all he ever shot was a 4” K-frame S&W .38spcl, and all he ever kept in it was wadcutters...always. For defense loads, he’d load em pretty hot. I asked him one day: “why use those for defense when there are plenty JHPs?”. He just pointed at his recently-shot target; All 6 perfectly-cut round holes nicely tightly grouped. He told me that a hot wadcutter round would penetrate at least 12"-14” and leave one heckuva a bleed-out channel...as he put it; literally a small river. Whereas, a JHP wound would close up behind itself as the bullet expanded. I thought he was nuts at the time....until I thought about it for awhile and researched it on the net.
Yeah...a wadcutter can be quite lethal, especially hot ones.

· Registered
1,554 Posts
Solid wadcutters are no problem or hidden dangers. Hollow base Wadcutters are the ones you got to be careful with. The velocity has to be kept down to avoid blowing skirts off. They can become barrel obstructions and cause barrel bulge if another round is fired.
I shoot 98% WCs out of all my revolvers. In 357 & 38s I shot 148gr Lyman/ Idea Button Nose WC. I have the DEWC mold but haven’t used it for years. I shoot 148gr Hornady HBWC in my S&W 52s.

· Registered
127 Posts
Dem27 pretty much has is. Unless you want to go back to the future about 40+ years when it was fashionable to load HBWC backwards out of .38spl snubbies. It was supposed to be atomic bombs. Actually the skirts blew off on impact (including light clothing) and left a .30-.32 caliber short hole, unimpressive. Having said that, I can see a solid full wadcutter at something near .357 speeds being a pretty hurtful thing. "Oh, but it'd lead the barrel terribly." Better to lead the barrel AND the bad actor, perhaps.

-jb. I mean, it can be cleaned, no?

Reactions: lgjhn

· Registered
37 Posts
Dem27 pretty much has is. Unless you want to go back to the future about 40+ years when it was fashionable to load HBWC backwards out of .38spl snubbies. It was supposed to be atomic bombs. Actually the skirts blew off on impact (including light clothing) and left a .30-.32 caliber short hole, unimpressive. Having said that, I can see a solid full wadcutter at something near .357 speeds being a pretty hurtful thing. "Oh, but it'd lead the barrel terribly." Better to lead the barrel AND the bad actor, perhaps.

-jb. I mean, it can be cleaned, no?
“...a solid full wadcutter at something near .357 speeds being a pretty hurtful thing. "Oh, but it'd lead the barrel terribly.”...."
Yep. For sure, Jeff. Bare lead ones loaded “hot” can, and will, lead the barrel. I personally found that out the hard way many years ago.
However, with the advent of today’s bullet powder-coating methodology, I can now powder-coat em and run em pretty darn hot without experiencing the old day's leading issue.

· Registered
127 Posts
Yes, that's all quite correct. I had strayed from OP, so I'll return to the original premise. I can't think of anything that should scare one about the bullet described, since it's truly not more than a different shape. Judicious adherence to published data will most often keep one safe. A full wadcutter is/was developed for target shooting to determine exact impact/scoring. As to it's use as a defensive projectile ... even though it's not the intended use, it may often work well. And more advanced projectiles may be more effective. Regardless, I'd rather clean lead fouling than worry about my safety.

-jb, [shrug} full WC vs HP, beyond my pay grade

· Registered
1,554 Posts
I haven’t run gas checks on anything in years. Bullets cast from straight wheel weights are not going to lead at pistol velocities. I shoot thousands of cast bullets, most I cast myself. I do add 5% tin for fill out. The only leading problems I have had is with Speer lead bullets in 44 & 45 shot at 800-850 their SWCs lead terribly. Guns looked like Elmer Fudd’s, lead was actually creeping out muzzle of 8 3/8” S&Ws. I have no experience with plated bullets, won’t shoot them in my prime shooters, I stick with old school lubes. Never had any problems with cast bullets sized to the gun.

· Registered
19,160 Posts
The 2 wadcutters I shoot are lead alloy and don't lead the barrel at all. One is a Lee microgroove lubes with a combo of alox and Felix lube, and the other is a regular grease groove design.

Wood Art Hardwood Flooring Font

Tablecloth Textile Wood Cuisine Flooring

· Registered
127 Posts
a-yup, times change and so does coating. My mistake for convoluting time periods. When I mentioned ""Oh, but it'd lead the barrel terribly"" (er, quoting a quote) I was referring to the olden days when the almost pure HBWCs seated backwards were scorned for barrel leading. Clearly I haven't run any WCs, at .357 mag velocities, lead or coated. Perhaps it remains to be seen how racy they can get before coating ceases to be effective. eh, perhaps not :D

-jb, that was then, this is now

1 - 14 of 14 Posts