The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So awhile back I happened to stop at a Cabela’s store when I was out of town. Well I needed some .38 bullets for plinking and they had 3 boxes of them. I bought them, took them home and as I was putting them on my shelf I realized someone stuck a box of .358 bullets in with the .38’s. So now I’m sitting on a box of them and I have no idea what to do with them. Now I triple check and make sure I’m getting the right thing. What caliber even takes a .358 bullet? Maybe I’ll have to buy a new gun

Reactions: rawright54

·
Registered
485 Posts
If they are pistol bullets, they will work just fine. I have never seen 0.358" jacketed bullets EXCEPT for rifle cartridges.
Are they jacketed or lead?
If not happy, can you take them back?
I shoot 0.355-0.357" jacketed bullets in 9x19, 9x21, .38 Super all the time. I shoot 0.356-0.359" lead bullets in the same cartridges all the time.
I have never known a gun sensitive to 0.001" larger bullets.
That said, START at the START load and work up.

·
Premium Member
11,270 Posts
As Kosh mentioned, what weight are they? That will most likely tell you what they're for.

If .001 confuses you, don't ever start casting bullets.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited by Moderator)
They are 158 grain berry’s I’m pretty sure they are pleated. I would take them back but I lost my receipt this was like a year ago. Also I’m not going to drive 4 hours away for $35.

Any .38 / 357 pistol. I use them in my revolvers with great success.
I can use them in my ruger black hawk .357 mag?

·
Premium Member
11,270 Posts
Yes, you can.

Pleated? Like a Poodle Skirt, (if you know what that is).....:D.....or plated?

·
Premium Member
11,270 Posts
Eh, no apology necessary...my head takes off on a tangent when it sees some things and that was one of them...lol! I'm certain everyone knew exactly what you meant....even weird ol' me!!

Reactions: mikld

·
Registered
485 Posts
Yeah, plated SHOULD be sized like lead bullets--at LEAST 0.001" over actual barrel groove diameter. So, these are .38 Spec/.357 Mag bullets.
Best during time of bullet shortage to just sell them if you don't want them.

·
Registered
307 Posts
If you've never reloaded nor shot plated projectiles, give them a whirl. You might like them. I got "stuck" with some once and tried them. They seemed to shoot as well as, or even slightly better than my usual projectiles. Just don't crimp them heavily.

If they're 158 gr. bullets, you'll have to load them heavily to push them faster than their 1250 f/s upper velocity limit, especially in barrels under 6" in length. Even so, I advise moderation. If memory serves, 7.0-7.2/Unique in .357 mag cases worked pretty well, for me.

·
Registered
7,417 Posts
Those 158 grain plated .358s should be a dandy for your .38. I sure as heck wouldn't take them back. Bullets of .357 to .358 are the standard for a .38 Special and .357 Magnum. I wouldn't let an extra 1/1000th of and inch worry me. Heck, you'll likely shave that much off when the bullet exits the case mouth on firing anyway.

Just like in a 9mm. Bullets often range from .355 to .356.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts