38-55 Winchester 94 Re-barrel

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by 45nut, May 25, 2020.

1. 45nut

45nut Well-Known Member

My .357 Mag Rossi 92 Puma is their 2nd generation and the wood to metal fit is much better than the first, the receiver is case hardened and it is dead eye dick! I have killed 5 or 6 does with it. My Uberti 1866 45 Colt is brand new and so far I have only shot it with 250 gr lead PMC rounds. I anticipate good accuracy from it as well. I had an early 44-40 Uberti 73 carbine that I used to shoot at the 18" 300 yard metal plate in the Arizona desert outside Mesa. I hit it often enough to enjoy the bang.......ping!

Carbine with a rifle but, nice!

sharps4590 likes this.
  2. pdkfishing

pdkfishing Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Thanks, sharps. Gets a bit better than and inch and a half at 50 yards with the buckhorn sight. Cast nominal 250 grain (actually drops about 258) flatnose over RX 7. Funny thing, not quite as good as with the aperture sight, LOL. Too late for deer season, but it put the skids on a hog back in March. Liked the result (put the new wood on a some years back and kept it as a 30-30 until last winter) so much that I bought some more fancy wood seconds and put them on my pre-64 trappers and Model 92 knockoffs. Had to find coins to put in the cutouts and forends that more or less matched the butts, but they all look more "authentic" to me. The trappers have full buckhorn sights; the knockoffs have aperture sights mounted on the bolts. My one pre-64 Model 94 has a Lyman tang sight. +1 with shanghai, just looks better.

joe45c and sharps4590 like this.

3. 45nut

45nut Well-Known Member

pdk,
    We are going to need some more pictures please!! My pre-64 94 is 32 WS with the original rear sight. Not a buckhorn , just the plain old every day sight.

jwdurf likes this.
  4. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

The Italian '73 I have has a distortion in the barrel bore right under the rear sight cut. I can feel it with a cleaning patch and see it with a crude bore scope. The Italian pistol shot to the side and I had to over rotate the barrel in the frame and bend the sight to get the gun to shoot to point of aim. The Brazilian 22 pump had horrible (!!!!) accuracy and I dumped it. The Brazilian semi-auto (clone of Winchester Model 63) was so inaccurate that I had to re-crown the barrel to get reasonable accuracy and clean up the internals of the action to get it to feed reliably. The Taurus Colt Lightning pump clone would not feed SAAMI spec ammo (too long) and needs reloads with an OAL less than SAAMI nominal. The guns looked great but as a shooter I was/am disappointed before I did a bit of gunsmithing on them.

I do have a real Winchester Model 71 that is an excellent gun as well as a beautiful Browning Winchester clone Model 95. All the Brownings I have are beautifully made and beautiful to look at, even better than Winchester originals. I have 8 Brownings!

LDBennett

5. sharps4590

sharps4590 Well-Known Member

That is....a bit uncommon your groups are better with the buck horn sight...why you figger that?

Just from what I remember of most commemoratives, I believe I'd prefer a coin.

6. pdkfishing

45nut, here you go. Be careful what you ask for. This is my whole lever action collection. Lever guns 1.jpg
    The top one is the other side of the now 38-55; bottom is my pre-64. Left it alone except that I added the tang sight and a folder in the dovetail. Rear sights were missing when I bought it. If it had a rear sight on it, I'd have left it alone. Know it was built sometime in 1943 through 1948. Records lost in a fire according to what I've been able to find out. IMHO you did the right thing leaving the original sight on your pre-64.
    trappers .jpg

These are the trappers. Got enough for their original stocks to cover the cost of what's on them now. Goodbye resale value, but they are my rifles and I like the figure in the new stocks. The bottom one has a rifle forend. I call it my really short bargain basement rifle.
    repos .jpg

These are my repros. Top one is a 357 mag carbine; bottom is a 45 colt rifle. Both have rear sights mounted on the bolt and what I thought were better looking Winchester stocks. Their original stocks were some sort of tree wood. No figure at all.
    lever actions.jpg
    Just for grins, went ahead and added my other lever gun. Marlin 336 in 35 Remington. It has a 2 1/2 power Bausch & Lomb Baltur scope. The adjustments are in the mount. Did remove the white spacers from the buttplate and gripcap. Never liked their looks. Sorry for rambling on; anyways, there's the whole collection. :)

jwdurf, sharps4590 and joe45c like this.
  7. pdkfishing

Sharps, I think you might have misread. Said groups with the buckhorn were not quite as good as with the aperture. Wish the bargain stocks had come without the cutouts, but only one did. It was a rifle butt, so I put it on the 45 Colt repro.

8. 45nut

45nut Well-Known Member

20200526_163408[1].jpg
    My Uberti 1866 45 Colt and my Pre-64 94 32 WS, 1943-47 I think. Really nice wood on the 66

Question: Do I need to tap out the rear sight when I put the peep sight on?

Last edited: May 26, 2020
    pdkfishing and sharps4590 like this.
  9. sharps4590

sharps4590 Well-Known Member

LOL!!!....and so I did!!!!

pdkfishing likes this.
  10. joe45c

joe45c Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Nice collection, PDK.

jwdurf and pdkfishing like this.
  11. joe45c

joe45c Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Pdk what's your serial number on your pre 64? I'll check it for you.

12. pdkfishing

Would rather not put it out here. PM on the way.

Last edited: May 26, 2020
    joe45c likes this.
  13. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

On my Rossi 357 I did not remove the rear sight, but I did take the elevator out. That lowered the blade enough that I could see over it.
    Rossi 92 SRC, 357 & 45 Colt.jpg

sharps4590, joe45c and howlnmad like this.
  14. TRAP55

TRAP55 Well-Known Member

If any of you guys need a pre-64 Winchester dated, I have all the polishing room records that Bert H found in the Cody Museum basement. These are the actual dates of manufacture. Most everything you find online or in the Blue Book are the dates Madis put together, and what he didn't have, he just made up. Some are way off.

15. gdmoody

gdmoody Full Time Moderator Moderator Supporting Member

I personally miss Bert H's presence here at TFF!!

Grizzley1, sharps4590 and howlnmad like this.