The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This revolver belongs to a friend and would like some information on it and about how much it cost.
its a H&R Arms company 38 S&W CTGE serial # 201166 and has The American Double Action on top of it. I have attached a couple of pictures. Thanks
tempImageFKFCB9.png
tempImageTdVGjy.png
tempImageZMabZ6.png
tempImagesWp2Pj.png

·
Registered
7,834 Posts
Some of our experts will be along shortly to help with the age and value of this revolver. I can only chirp in that it is chambered for the old .38 Smith&Wesson cartridge. There have been a lot of questions about old revolvers in this caliber, but let me just say that many people assume that it is the same as a ".38 Smith&Wesson Special" - it is NOT. This is a completely different caliber, and even just a few years ago ammunition in .38 Smith&Wesson was almost impossible to find on the store shelves. More likely today - it would be impossible - unless you found someone who collects old ammunition. Even then it would be very, very expensive.

·
Registered
99 Posts
You have a H&R "The American Double Action " revolver. Factory records don't exist but yours is a later one, probably 1935 - 1938-ish. I'm not sure if your message wants to know what it cost in 1935 or what it's worth now. My 1935 price list shows a blued, 2-1/2" .38 costing $5.75 then and its value today is around $100.00 to maybe $150.00 to an interested buyer. Yours was made for smokeless powder. As jim brady stated, rots-a-ruck finding .38 S&W. Some of the bigger ammo manufacturers make limited runs of it occasionally but it's as scarce as hens teeth.

Best regards,
Jeff

1 - 3 of 3 Posts