The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
38 S & W CTGE pistol serial # 139909 (5 rounds)

HARRINGTON & RICHARDSON ARMS COMPANY WORCESTER, MA

PAT MAY 14 & AUG. 8;89, APRIL 2;85,APRIL 7;88

I would like to sell this piston on Ebay. What do you suggest I ask for it? Thank you for your assistance.

·
Registered
461 Posts
First off, unless Ebay has radically changed its selling practices recently, they will not accept firearms for auction sale. However there are other auctions available that you could use, which deal in firearms and related However; Ebay will, at this time, accept gun parts, and you could strip the grips, hammer and other removable parts and sell them. You couldn't legally sell the frame (the part left after you have removed all other things removable) as that part is considered the gun itself.

It's a very old gun and if in workable condition you may be able to sell it locally (if that is legal where you live) for some where between $50-$100. There is a small demand for these old guns by collectors. It is chambered for the .38 S&W cartridge, not the S&W Special cartridge and going by the patent dates you submitted, it is only proofed for black powder loadings. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Ditto what jondar says. Firearms cannot be sold on Ebay. For legal purposes, the "gun" is the frame, or receiver, that all the other parts attach to; it generally has the serial number on it. All the other things, including the barrel and cylinder, are parts, and may be sold freely, on Ebay or elsewhere, without legal restriction (that I know of).

Without pictures, nobody can give a useful estimate of what your gun, or its parts, are worth.

These small revolvers were made in large quantities from the 1880's to the 1920's, and lot of them have survived until today. Not many people collect them, and they are not very good weapons by today's standards, so prices tend to be pretty low, like $125, give or take $75. (People very often ask more, but I don't think they get it much).

BTW, CTGE is an old abbreviation for "cartridge", which means one round of ammunition. It is not a model designation.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts