The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure this question has been asked many times, but please indulge my ignorance.

What are the pro and cons of the 44 spl against the 38 spl, and vices-versa?

Ballistics, ammo cost, availability, effectiveness, etc.

·
Premium Member
34,532 Posts
Look up Hatcher tests. There is a huge difference between the two calibers.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Roughly .083" in diameter of bullet

Many folks would side with the notion that the bigger the hole for starters the more 'effective' the potential of the round.

·
Registered
17,280 Posts
Not just a bigger hole. About 50% more mass at the same speed. 158 x 150% is 237, and factory 44 special is 246.

You need an efficient bullet, though. The factory 246 LRN is not a whole lot better than the factory 158 LRN. A 240 SWC, though, is miles ahead of a 158 SWC.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Both easy to shoot, 44 more effective as a threat stopper, 38 costs a fraction of the 44 so it's cheaper to shoot. Have both, love both, will not willingly give up either of them.

·
Premium Member
34,532 Posts
Both easy to shoot, 44 more effective as a threat stopper, 38 costs a fraction of the 44 so it's cheaper to shoot. Have both, love both, will not willingly give up either of them.

ot really. Charter sells the Bull Dog for around $400. It might be only a 5 shot revolver' but it will do anything a Smith will do except shoot six times without reloading. But 5rounds should be plenty!

·
Registered
17,280 Posts
Carver, I believe he was referring to ammo prices, not gun prices. You can find 38s for less than 20 a box. 44 Special will cost closer to 40.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
The last time I bought them I paid $18 for 20 rounds of 44 spcl and 50 rounds of 38 spcl for $22, (.90 cents compared to .44 cents per round).

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
Modern comparison..

.38 spl. = Roughly equivalent to 9mm luger

.44 spl. = roughyl equivalent to .45ACP

Huge difference in performance, but either will get the job done with good shot placement.

·
Registered
9,419 Posts
Modern comparison..

.38 spl. = Roughly equivalent to 9mm luger

.44 spl. = roughyl equivalent to .45ACP

Huge difference in performance, but either will get the job done with good shot placement.
Ya buddy, that sums it up. If you run into a big man with several layers of coats and sweat shirts on and have to use a 44 spl. with a 240 grain SWC, it would suck to be him. And you don't have to worry about it going through your entire house, and the neighbors house, and then into their dog house.

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
yessir. Course it would suck to be him either way.. getting shot sucks period..

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
Take it from a dumbass that has shot himself.. twice..

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
Yes.. I do not mention it much, because it was carelessness, and it could have been much worse that it was.. But yes. i have shot myself, twice, by accident.. First time I was shooting a Ruger single six .22 mag, fanning the hammer. I had run about 4 cylinder loads and was getting ready to fan the fifth, and for some dumbass reason I reholstered my sixgun cocked and ready to fire instead of hammer down. When I drew to slap the hammer I drew with my finger on the trigger and the revolver fired. bullet skinned my leg and went into the dirt next to my right foot..

Second time was just a couple years ago.. Again with a .22 mag, cept this time with a rifle.. I was shooting my FILs savage mark 22. I had been shooting pop cans all day and decided it would be fun to shoot a small scrap piece of steel plate I had. See how many rounds it took to drill a hole in it. About the 5th round in had it cratered enough to send the bullet back at me. Hit me in the stomach just below the breast plate. Luckily im a little thick and the bullet didnt get into my guts. I dug it out with my pocket knife. It was in about a half inch. Still have a nice scar from that one..

So yeah.. getting shot sucks.. I learnt my lessons and do OK now. But by the same token I play with guns for a living, so it was bound to happen, given the amount of exposure.

·
Registered
9,419 Posts
It can happen to anyone. I have reloaded rounds that have been a little too slow and one time I pulled the trigger and I heard the bullet hit and then I saw it flying back my direction. Luckily it really wasn't close to me but I quit loading them down so low. As far as quick drawing and fanning I do it empty but not loaded. My grand father shot a .22 down his leg, through his foot and into the ground. I have heard of guys doing that with larger calibers and that is not good.

I don't think your a dummy. A dummy is someone that does not learn from their mistakes, but a smart person does.

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
It was dumb mistakes.. but its the dumb S*** we do in life that wises our asses up.. Or gets us killed..

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
. I had been shooting pop cans all day and decided it would be fun to shoot a small scrap piece of steel plate I had. See how many rounds it took to drill a hole in it. About the 5th round in had it cratered enough to send the bullet back

Those 22s can ricochet off anything I hear, even water. Reminds me of one of my friend's associate who shot himself with a 22lr; it messed him so bad that it that he required a cast.

But back to the question at hand:
So the biggest factors against the 44 spl is cost if you buy manufactured ammo, and availability?

Somethin' about 44 spl is alluring to me I don't know why though.

·
Registered
17,280 Posts
That's pretty much it. Back in the early 80s I succumbed to the writings of Skeeter and bought one of the just released 24-3s. Then I went looking for ammo. Hard to find, and when I finally found a box (and apparently it was the only box in my whole town) it was more than 25 dollars. At the same time, Winchester 38 Specials were 8 bucks.

That stuff is expensive to buy.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts