The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
9,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
OK recipe guru's, I need help. JLA, Alpo, V509, LDBennett, and everybody else, this is what I have.

I have a friend that has some 95g RNFP (Berrys Bullets, discontinued) that he wants to load up for 38 special.

Can I use some old Winchester Ball Powder 571? If so, what are my ranges. Not too low because this lighter bullet will have a tendancy to bounce back.

If we can't run with the 571 then what powder can I run with this light bullet and what are the powder ranges? We will work low and develop the load. I have no data in my books for this.

This should make a fun round for bunny hunting and punching paper.

Thanks everybody.

· Registered
18,148 Posts
571 is discontinued, but Hs-7 powder is the same and data is interchangeable.

I cannot find Hs-7 data for any bullet weight in .38 spec. Which leads me to believe its a tad slow for the round.

Lee 2nd is the only data book that lists data for 95 gr bullets and the powders list are
IMR800X
IMR4227
SR4756
SR7625
IMR PB
IMR700X

Of the ones listed the only powder I have is the 700X and it is a fantastic powder in most pistol cartridges.

· Registered
18,462 Posts
No clue Jim. Lightest I've ever done in 38 is 122, and I've never used that powder for anything.

· Registered
18,148 Posts
Ive loaded 110 gr XTPs in .38 but used Titegroup

· Registered
3,584 Posts
I've never tried anything that light out of the .38 either.
With a light bullet slow enough not to lead the bore it sounds like you could probably call it a bunny fart load instead of a bunny hunting load. :D
BUT...that is about the same velocity/weight that I use in the .380 and with a flat-nose bullet it sure does knock the cottontails over like a hammer.
I say go for it!

Hodgdon's site shows TrailBoss, Titegroup, and Clays for 90gr cast lead loads in the 700-950fps range. Those would be good starting points for data too.

· Registered
9,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
571 is discontinued, but Hs-7 powder is the same and data is interchangeable.

I cannot find Hs-7 data for any bullet weight in .38 spec. Which leads me to believe its a tad slow for the round.

Lee 2nd is the only data book that lists data for 95 gr bullets and the powders list are
IMR800X
IMR4227
SR4756
SR7625
IMR PB
IMR700X

Of the ones listed the only powder I have is the 700X and it is a fantastic powder in most pistol cartridges.
What grainage should I start with??? That is my obstacle.

· Registered
18,462 Posts
http://www.hodgdon.com/contactus.html

This would be the best place to ask. They might tell you that the powder you wish to use would be a crappy choice for what you want it for. But they are the ones that would know.

Birdshot (Cowboy shooter I know) is (or used to was) the feller that answers those questions. Nice guy, and responds quickly.

· Registered
18,148 Posts
More than you know. Lighter bullets leave greater case volume. You can get away with such things loading certain powders in certain cartridges. But as a general practice its a bad idea. Excessive case volume can cause detonation and be just as dangerous as an overcharge. IF you simply cannot find data for a particular bullet you want to load it is generally considered safe to use data for a slightly HEAVIER bullet and work up carefully. You NEVER, under ANY circumstances want to use data for a lighter bullet under a heavier bullet. That can very easily become catastrophic.

· Registered
670 Posts
76Highboy,
I have an old 46 edition of a Lyman reloading handbook. And it has a listing for a 92 grain RN cast bullet. Powders are 700X- 3.0to 5.0 grains, Bullseye- 3.3 to 5.3 grains Red Dot- 3.8 to 5.2 grains, 231- 3.5to5.7 grains. they also list loads for HP38 and HS 5. I would stick with the 700X or the 231 Powders. I did alot of reloading for friends too. Really didn't like it that much.

· Registered
546 Posts
Any chance you and your buddy could trade off those wrong weight bullets and powder for components meant for that round?

In 'most' cases there is a good reason to use the right items for the job instead of 'whatever is around in hand'. Barring a "Mad Max" scenario-lol

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.