380 Ammo Question

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Old Guy, Apr 2, 2009.

1. Old Guy

Old Guy Member

I am relatively new to the gun buying scene (and I have been busy!). I also have been helping out the volume sales of ammunition!!! (Isn't the free market great!!!) So, I understand some of the shortage issues. What I don't understand is why the 380 ammo is so scarce compared to everything else? I am sure that this may have already been asked and discussed, but I would like to know what the difference is. I have been able with a lot of effort to find via local stores and internet all that I need in 9, 40, and 45. But the old 380 really seems to be elusive.

Sorry if this is a repeat.

Old Guy

2. 94z07

94z07 New Member

Just a swag here:

9mm and .45 ACP (maybe .38 special was once too) dominate the centerfire pistol ammo market there's more demand but there's more supply and more ranges and shooters etc load their own.

I think that since .380 has never been so popular as the top tier ammo that the supply for cases and bullets was more easily depleated by the estimated 700% increase in demand from the Obama ammo bubble.

3. RandyP

RandyP Active Member

Plus many manufacturers are coming out with new .380 offerings for the CCW crowd. LOTS of newcomers to the sport too. At least this sector of the economy is showing boom growth, thanks in part to fear about the possible anti-gun actions the new administration in D.C. might propose.

4. BobMcG

BobMcG Well-Known Member Supporting Member

One of my local dealers claimed to me that he'd already sold almost 50 Ruger LCPs. Even if the number is a exaggerated a bit, I have a feeling there's quite a number of new .380 owners across the country. That means a lot more .380 ammo and components being devoured.