The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning forum and happy Father's Day. A few days ago I got in an order of .380 auto 88gr. JHP. I have 7 loading manuals and cannot find load data for that gr bullit. I guess I should have looked in my manuals before I placed the order, but I was so excited to find the bullit that I've been looking for for months. Can anybody guide me in the right direction to find load data?

Thanks in advance,

Kevinh

·
Super Moderator
28,006 Posts
What powder are you planning on using? The Lyman doesn't show a 88 gr load but does show a load for 90 gr. You can start at the bottom of that and work your way to something that may perform well. The 2 gr difference won't show much. Heck, I've bought factory bullets that showed that much and even more in weight differences.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Howln. My Lyman's shows that also. I don't have any of those powders listed. I was wondering about the 90 gr. I'll buy one of those powders and load them up if you think I can use the 90gr data. Of course, starting minimum load.

Thanks again,

Kevinh

·
Registered
711 Posts
I use Lyman's data for the 90 grain JHP 231 powder 3.2 grains behind the Speer 88 grain JHP.
It works fine in my Walther PPK/S.
If I reduce loads very much in my PPK/S it won't function. It will stove pipe. Not good for a carry gun.

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
90 gr data will be safe to use. Just develop the loads properly.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
I use the Hornady 90gr XTP data for my Remington 88grJHP loads.
WW231/HP38 is my favorite powder for the .380. Actually, it's the only one I've ever used in that caliber since it works great for me.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the advice. I'll put it to good use. Now, see my other thread for today and help me figure that out.

Kevinh

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
I use the Hornady 90gr XTP data for my Remington 88grJHP loads.
WW231/HP38 is my favorite powder for the .380. Actually, it's the only one I've ever used in that caliber since it works great for me.
Titegroup is fanfreakintastic in the .380. I think that powder really takes the cake in low pressure pistol rounds.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Titegroup is fanfreakintastic in the .380. I think that powder really takes the cake in low pressure pistol rounds.
I'll have to try Titegroup in the .380 sometime when it get more plentiful around here. It should work fine though.
I've been mainly keeping my Titegroup supply for my .45ACP.

I found load data for the .380 ACP 88gr here

http://handloads.com/loaddata/default.asp?Caliber=380 ACP&Weight=88&type=Handgun&Source=

I am just starting in reloading. If this is not the info you were looking for please let me know. If this site is unreliable please let me know that too.

I dug through my Speer manual but found nothing for it.
I've used data from the handloads.com website and I haven't found any real wild loads listed there yet. It's sort of vague how they get the specs for their data...is it individual testing, do they have a pressure lab they use, etc, ???
BUT...I always cross-reference them against data from a bullet or powder manufacturer's published data. I know the manufacturers do have the proper equipment to develop good safe data.
I do the same cross-ref with any load I find online or published too. You can never have too many data sources. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts