The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I looks like I may be able to start picking up some bullets here and there to reload. Before I buy, I just want to make sure I understand something. I've reloaded some 9mm and need to reload some .380 auto.

Can I use the same bullet for each? Is the only difference the gr. weight? 120gr and under for .380 and over 120gr for 9mm? This is my understanding. Is this correct?

thanks in advance,
kevinh

·
Registered
286 Posts
Speer Loading Manual lists 88 grain - 115 grain for the 380; and 88 grain -125 for the 9mm. Alsothe recommended start and maximum powder charges are different for each caliber

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Yes, the bullet diameter is the same 0.355-0.356" for both cartridges. As Sarge posted, the weights are the main differences.
You will find several powders that are also a good choice for either caliber too.
Refer to your reloading manuals for the options you've got for both powder and bullets.

The normal standard weight for the .380 is 95-100gr.
I have tried 115gr cast lead and I wasn't that impressed with the accuracy and velocity I was getting. Normally, I load either a 95gr LRN or the 88gr Remington JHP for my .380.

I haven't done much loading for the 9mm yet. Been playing around with both 115gr and 124gr jacketed loads and 124gr cast lead. Haven't settled on anything specific that works for my 9mms. I have talked with a couple guys that have tried the 95gr in the 9mm but accuracy was sporadic.

So be aware that the weights that are common between the two cartridges might not necessarily be a good choice for accuracy or functioning.

·
Premium Member
34,532 Posts
Yes, the bullet diameter is the same 0.355-0.356" for both cartridges. As Sarge posted, the weights are the main differences.
You will find several powders that are also a good choice for either caliber too.
Refer to your reloading manuals for the options you've got for both powder and bullets.

The normal standard weight for the .380 is 95-100gr.
I have tried 115gr cast lead and I wasn't that impressed with the accuracy and velocity I was getting. Normally, I load either a 95gr LRN or the 88gr Remington JHP for my .380.

I haven't done much loading for the 9mm yet. Been playing around with both 115gr and 124gr jacketed loads and 124gr cast lead. Haven't settled on anything specific that works for my 9mms. I have talked with a couple guys that have tried the 95gr in the 9mm but accuracy was sporadic.

So be aware that the weights that are common between the two cartridges might not necessarily be a good choice for accuracy or functioning.
I agree. Remember that to go heavier on the bullets, in any caliber, the bullets have to be longer, as they get heavier!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts