The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I've started reloading 380 handgun and I'm wondering if there is a web resource on bullet dimensions. Almost every bullet I find is .355 or .356 in diameter, which is great, but I am looking for something shorter and I'm hoping to find some length data before dropping too much money looking on my own.

What I'm looking for:
380 FMJ or CMJ
weight doesn't matter; 90gr, 95gr, 100gr
Width: .355 is ideal; .356 is workable
Length: Something in the .435-.440 range. I have used a Rainier 95gr in the past that fit the bill perfectly, but they no longer make it.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
Don't know what you mean by wanting something "shorter". Reloading manuals are an excellent source for and reloading info (my first go-to). Bullet weight, shape, and manufacturer determine OAL. What you'll have to do is research bullets, then check load data in your reloading manual, before you purchase any.

I googled "reloading 380" and got several hits, here's 3; http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=94023 http://www.berrysmfg.com/products.aspx?c=10 http://www.lg-outdoors.com/products.asp?cat=9532

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
By shorter, I mean the length of the bullet, rather than the diameter. I have been researching, but none of the manufacturers or retailers that I have seen actually list this measurement. I just know my 380 is on the small side, as I have problems with some ammo feeding, so it's what I'm being so specific on needing something 'short'.

I will check out a reloader's manual and see if I can come across the data I need in one of those. Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
By shorter, I mean the length of the bullet, rather than the diameter. I have been researching, but none of the manufacturers or retailers that I have seen actually list this measurement. I just know my 380 is on the small side, as I have problems with some ammo feeding, so it's what I'm being so specific on needing something 'short'.

I will check out a reloader's manual and see if I can come across the data I need in one of those. Thanks for the input!
What your really need to know is overall cartridge length. The length of the .380 case is fixed at .680 +/- and the overall cartridge length is determined by how deep you seat the bullet. So a long bullet is seated deeper than a short bullet. For .380 the max. OAL is .980. Your reloading manual will give the OAL depending on which bullet you are loading (you are using a reloading reference aren't you?).

If you have problems with some ammo feeding it may or may not be the OAL of the cartridge. It could be any of several other issues - like the gun's feed ramp, the magazine, magazine spring, dirt, etc, etc. You can measure some of the rounds that don't feed well and some that do and see if there is any correlation.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.