.380 Walter pk

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by one3, Aug 11, 2020.

1. one3

one3 Well-Known Member

I, have a .380 Walter PK. For what ever season it will not fire. Is this a common problem and is it a easy fix. Thank you for your help

2. howlnmad

howlnmad Old Guy Doing Things Moderator Supporting Member

Is it loaded?
    Seriously, going to need a little more info. Any symptoms? You chamber a round and then what happens?

sharps4590 and Patches like this.

3. sharps4590

sharps4590 Well-Known Member

My 1952 Hudson Hornet won't start. Can someone tell me why?

4. Patches

Patches Well-Known Member

Based on the lack of information in your post, you have 2 very good replies. Try to give some more details along the lines of what you have done to address the issue / is this a recent development with the gun and the like.
    I believe you might get more focused replies and help.

sharps4590 likes this.
  5. Kvasir

Kvasir Well-Known Member

It need points and a condenser. Maybe some fresh gas too. ;)

sharps4590 likes this.
  6. Kvasir

Kvasir Well-Known Member

Assuming it fired previously the first thing I would try would be different ammo.

7. one3

one3 Well-Known Member

This is where I am at now. The pistol belonged to my late brother. His son (my nephew) is looking into this. I am trying to help him. If you will, stand by, I will see how much more info I can get. He told me when the hammer falls, nothing happens.

jim brady and howlnmad like this.
  8. jim brady

jim brady Well-Known Member

Without at least a little more information - could be a broken firing pin. Walther didn't make a "PK" - it is either a PPK or PPK-S. Walthers are great pistols (I have a PPK Stainless Steel in .380 for CW carry).

Here's the thing: When you attempt to fire the pistol, does the firing pin leave any indention on the primer? What ammunition are you trying to fire - and are you sure it's .380 ACP caliber? If the firing pin isn't broken (and if you are chambering .380 caliber ammunition), another thing to check is to remove the slide (of course after you clear the weapon/remove the mag) and see if the firing pin moves freely in the slide. I've seen guns so gunked-up that the firing pin will get stuck and not move when struck by the hammer.

The PPKs and PPK-S pistols are easy to clean and care for. Once you have it apart and clean, just be sure to add a little good quality gun grease to the slide and frame rails, and a very thin film on the barrel where it goes thru the end of the slide. Don't gunk up the slide's internal mechanism with goop. Clean it up - flush it out and let it drip dry. I like CLP spray for this. Keeps things lubed without gooing-up like WD-40 and other products do. WD works for flushing out debris- but wipe out excess because it turns to goo after a while.

9. one3

one3 Well-Known Member

PPK, PPK-S, what is stamped on the gun and on the box is Pk made in Gremany???

jim brady likes this.
  10. Firpo

Firpo Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Kweeksdraw, jim brady and howlnmad like this.
  11. one3

one3 Well-Known Member

Kweeksdraw likes this.
  12. jim brady

jim brady Well-Known Member

Yup. I stand corrected. Walther DID make a new version of the PPK. Looks about the same basic mechanically - just the new Buck Rodgers modern poly instead of steel. I'd have to say that cleaning and maintenance would be quite similar. I'll take a thousand lashes with a wet noodle.

Kweeksdraw and Firpo like this.
  13. one3

one3 Well-Known Member

sometime manufactures will snek one in on us.

Kweeksdraw and jim brady like this.
  14. sharps4590

sharps4590 Well-Known Member

I'll volunteer to administer said punishment if you can get someone to cook the noodles....:D

A thousand lashes might take a few days....I'm certain I'll tire.....:D

Kweeksdraw likes this.
  15. deingy

deingy Well-Known Member

Go with a through cleaning if you haven't yet. Many problems disappear with cleaning and broken stuff falls out or is now visible.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2020
    Kweeksdraw likes this.