The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been think on getting a another shotgun and been wondering if a 3.5 would be any better then a 3in i have a remington 870 express mag and been wanting a 10ga but ammo is too hard to find without having to go to memphis tn (i am 35miles north of memphis). What would be a good gun to get i have looked at the remington 870 super express and the 887 nitro mag but aint heard to good review about it and i have look at the mossberg 535 and 835. Thanks

·
Registered
603 Posts
I haven't heard anything good about the 887 and I'm not a fan of Mossberg. IMO you can do a fine job using one of the super premium shotgun shells like Hevi-shot in the 3" magnum. It's also a lot cheaper than buying a new gun......

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
My Co-worker is a huge Goose hunter, his cousin is a top notch guide and caller.
We discussed the 3 vs. 3.5 issue and he sees no need for 3.5. He bought one when they came out, but never uses 3.5 as the overall effect is too small to see to justify the recoil and cost. He has and feels the same about the 10 Ga.
That's the opinion of someone who hunts hard every year, and the opinion of a guide too, FWIW.

·
Registered
420 Posts
If your a serious goose hunter and can handle a 10ga it is at home in that type of hunting but for most of us a 3" 12ga with screw in chocks can do it all at an afordable cost . With any you have to take the time to check patterns with different brands and size of shot and maybe choke tube to find what groups best.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
I certainly don't want or need the punishment and $$ of 3.5" shells, I think 3" is more than plenty.

And what Hardluk said, pattern your gun! more isn't always better, you could actually see better pellet count hits from a 2.75" shell than a 3.5" if it's good ammo for your gun.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
All things concidered, the only real difference is the shot load; you have a larger/different powder charge to move the greater shot charge at the same basic pressure and velocity in 3" and 3.5" shells.
You would do as well or better to pattern your gun with different chokes at different ranges to see what combination of choke and shot size would pattern best FOR YOU at the distance you expect to shoot during your hunts.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Would a 3.5 give me better range? My 870 has the rem choke i have a turkey choke and a imp cylinder in it now it patterns really good with 3in mag with the turkey choke i guess i just want another gun. I have always wanted a 10ga i guess i like recoil but the ammo is so hard to find. I have also looked at the stoeger 3500 and a winchester speed pump too. thanks

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Greater range? Not really, the difference is the payload and the range depends on shot size and choke constriction; there are variables with the powder type and charge weight between makes/types of ammo, but to be honest, you would need to pattern your gun with that specific load to find the individual results. There is no "exact" bore diameter for shotguns.....some bores are simply larger or smaller (by a few 1000ths) and choke constrictions can vary between brands and models; you have to shoot it to see what it does for you.
It does make a good excuse to buy another gun.....like we all need another excuse....

·
TFFWPP President
14,433 Posts
the way i see it I bought my 870 super because I wanted to have as many options as possible. up here we get the late season geese that fly high so I will use the 3.5s with a turkey choke. until then I do just fine with the 3" winchester high velocity BBs and a modified choke.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Can't comment on water fowl but I use a 20 gauge with 2 3/4" shells and either #4 or #6 shot. No complaints from a turkey yet, dead is dead.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.