The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an old iver Johnson 4/10 single shot with an all letter serial number HTCR and I think it translates to 5348 from there I’m totally in the dark ,anyone have any info ???

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
I have an old iver Johnson 4/10 single shot with an all letter serial number HTCR and I think it translates to 5348 from there I’m totally in the dark ,anyone have any info ???
what are you trying to figure out? manufacture date?, what the serial numbers means? chamber size?

there is a forum on here from june 2010 that covers just about everything you need to know about the iver johnson 410. im new to this forum and so dont know how to link you to it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited by Moderator)
what are you trying to figure out? manufacture date?, what the serial numbers means? chamber size?
All the above

there is a forum on here from june 2010 that covers just about everything you need to know about the iver johnson 410. im new to this forum and so dont know how to link you to it.
Thanks I’m searching now

·
Registered
435 Posts
You're correct about the "translation" of the letters (BTW HTCR is the actual serial number for record keeping purposes, not the 5348 "translation").
For whatever reason there was a period of time when Iver Johnson used the letters from name of the city the factory was instead of numbers. FITCHBURG = 123456789

There no real serial number history available to pin down a year made. The general theory is Iver shotguns with all letters for the serial number were built between 1940-1950.

Your .410 is probably chambered for 2 1/2" shells. If you don't have a dial indicator with a depth gauge, you should be able to slide a small dowel (unsharpened pencil works great) down the side of the chamber and feel the shoulder where the chamber transitions to the bore. Hold your thumb on the pencil when it hits the shoulder and measure the length.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You're correct about the "translation" of the letters (BTW HTCR is the actual serial number for record keeping purposes, not the 5348 "translation").
For whatever reason there was a period of time when Iver Johnson used the letters from name of the city the factory was instead of numbers. FITCHBURG = 123456789

There no real serial number history available to pin down a year made. The general theory is Iver shotguns with all letters for the serial number were built between 1940-1950.

Your .410 is probably chambered for 2 1/2" shells. If you don't have a dial indicator with a depth gauge, you should be able to slide a small dowel (unsharpened pencil works great) down the side of the chamber and feel the shoulder where the chamber transitions to the bore. Hold your thumb on the pencil when it hits the shoulder and measure the length.
Thank you !! You have helped me greatly , my son is already breaking it down and starting to clean years of grime off and refinishing the stock , great project for a young guy

·
Premium Member
9,222 Posts
Those are easy to strip but a pain to get back together.
Good luck.
How is going to "refinish" the stock?.
This is a job all ages can do.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Those are great guns, I have 4 of them, plus the other calibers as well plus a 44-40 shotgun, the 44-40 was before the 410.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts