The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to reloading and have a Dillon XL 650, I am having an issue when I am resizing my 40 cal cases. I know about the Glock bulging problem with leaving a bulge in the case, but my problem is when the cases are sized it puts a bulge into the bottom of the case, not a huge bulge but enough for the finished bullet not to fit into the case gauge. I thought that i was sizing them to deep so backed off the die then thought i wasn't going deep enough so screwed the die in further, still get the same result. Is there anything else that I should know that i may not be doing right? Keep in mind that these cases look fine before i re-size them after they come out of the die they have the bulge toward the bottom of the case almost near the taper. Am i just gonna have to get the Lee debulge kit and run these cases through it after i size them?

·
Registered
280 Posts
The sizing die should be adjusted so as to just touch the shell holder. You didn’t say if you are using Dillon dies or not, they have a large radius at the end of the die and may not size as far down the case as some other options. Thus the portion that doesn’t get sized appears bulged. The Lee kit may just be the right move for you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Sorry, I am using Lee dies, and with those dies the sizing die does not go all the way down to the plate when first screwed in. There is still a small gap between the plate and the die. Thank you, i believe that i will get the Lee bulge buster kit.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
i just gonna have to get the Lee debulge kit and run these cases through it after i size them?
This^^^

A .40 reloaders standard equipment, I no longer shoot this cartrige for this reason; it must sized twice.... FYI, keep in mind, glocks arent the only unsupported chambers out there, maybe the most common though.

·
Registered
609 Posts
You are probably going to have to buy a push through die for this caliper. It is weird to me that you say the bulge is being caused by the re-sizing die.

Where did you get the cases and do all cases fail to chamber after re-sizing? It is common for a batch of once fired brass to contain a high percentage of bulged cases, however - say 20%.

Re-sizing dies do not fix bulged cases because they don't go down far enough.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I've heard that some dies are too short for dillon reloaders.you may want to put the nut on the bottom side of your tool head to get the die to the shell plate. I use dillon dies for my 40 cal on my 550. I have a few ( very few) that wont fit in my sizer but will still fit in chamber of gun. Just a thought

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well first, all the brass either i shoot and collect or pick up from the range. And all the final rounds that are made will fit and fire nicely in my 40 cal. Now that is an idea i think i will try is putting the nut on the bottom side of the toolhead to get the die to initially sit on the plate like its supposed to. Thank you for the suggestion. And as for the rounds chambering or not, they all chamber but about every 5th round or so fails eject or gets stuck in the process.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Well first, all the brass either i shoot and collect or pick up from the range. And all the final rounds that are made will fit and fire nicely in my 40 cal. Now that is an idea i think i will try is putting the nut on the bottom side of the toolhead to get the die to initially sit on the plate like its supposed to. Thank you for the suggestion. And as for the rounds chambering or not, they all chamber but about every 5th round or so fails eject or gets stuck in the process.
Yeah, if you are using range pickup .40 brass it should be debulged initially. You may be getting them to pass through a chamber, the problem you will eventually discover is that area that is bulged and resized will work harden the brass, in extreme cases you will fold the casing over and it will appear as a smile. Both of these situations get you into the red really fast with the pressuress that .40 produces.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I load for .40 and shoot a Glock 23. I have found that many headaches are eliminated if I shove all .40 brass through the Debulging die first. I use the Redding GR-X Base sizing die. First I clean the brass, lube it lightly, then debulge. From there it's tossed into the 40cal ready to reload bucket.

I have a few ( very few) that wont fit in my sizer but will still fit in chamber of gun. Just a thought"
Me too.

I just debulge all of it, 2 or three hundred at a time. Some pass through the die with very little resistance, some are a real battle.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well first off thank you ejkoechling for your advice in putting the nut on the bottom side of the press, it seems to me that the lee dies i have are a little to short. But i did as you suggested and the cases actually fit into the case gauge but still a little tight so i think i will get the de-bulger kit anyway and go from there, but the cases does not have that bulge at the bottom after resizing anymore. And thank you all for your help.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I have an XL 650 and I reload 40 S.W. as well. I also use LEE dies. I have never used a bulge buster. I dont have a problem. All the brass I use is range pick up as well. Only a very few factory rounds have been fired through my XD.

I believe your XL 650 should have come with a set of the Dillon die lock rings. If you have them, use them instead of the LEE lock rings. That will allow you to use the lock ring on top instead of the bottom.

Also, for what it's worth, I have 45 ACP set up on a tool head using the LEE lock rings as well. They work, but they are on about the last thread. Which, according to Dillon, is all you need for it to work.

·
Registered
9,419 Posts
I am new to reloading and have a Dillon XL 650, I am having an issue when I am resizing my 40 cal cases. I know about the Glock bulging problem with leaving a bulge in the case, but my problem is when the cases are sized it puts a bulge into the bottom of the case, not a huge bulge but enough for the finished bullet not to fit into the case gauge. I thought that i was sizing them to deep so backed off the die then thought i wasn't going deep enough so screwed the die in further, still get the same result. Is there anything else that I should know that i may not be doing right? Keep in mind that these cases look fine before i re-size them after they come out of the die they have the bulge toward the bottom of the case almost near the taper. Am i just gonna have to get the Lee debulge kit and run these cases through it after i size them?
If I understand you correctly, it seems that you may be seating and crimping on the same step. If you are, lighten the crimp a little because that will cause the case to bulge near the head of the case. If you seat in the seating step and then use the Lee Factory Crimp die you will avoid that problem all together.

Also, just a friendly FYI. The correct terminology for a finished round is not a bullet, instead it is called a cartridge. So your sentence would read: I know about the Glock bulging problem with leaving a bulge in the case, but my problem is when the cases are sized it puts a bulge into the bottom of the case, not a huge bulge but enough for the finished cartridge not to fit into the case gauge. I thought that i was sizing them to deep so backed off the die.

If you watch my youtube video on setting up your dies, you will see how to set up the seating die, and then the Lee Factory Crimp die. I do not know if the Dillon runs off the same die types so I hope it helps. Below is a link to the video.

Welcome to the world of reloading.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCyYUzymHns

1 - 13 of 13 Posts