The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey i need some input.I'm reloading .40 S&W and I'm getting a ring from the seating die about an eighth inch down the projectile! I'm reloading RNFP and the seat die is flat in the center. It almost seems like the wrong caliber bullet seat is in the die or is this normal for that caliber? I dont have this problem with other calibers. Or am I just doing something wrong!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Try backing off the crimp as well, the crimp is taking place prior to the bullet fully seating; this is where crimping as a seperate step shines.

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
Just like 312shooter said. I had the same problem when I first started loading 9mm. It's caused by seating and crimping at the same step. After going to crimping as a separate step after seating, the problem went away.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Hornady Seating Die? Plated Bullets? Has an expander been used? Some have problems with this.
Seating Die features seater adjustment screw, built-in crimper, locking retainer spring, and a floating bullet seater alignment sleeve and seating stem, which pre-aligns the bullet and case before seating occurs.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts