.40 S&W

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Zigzag2, Feb 24, 2003.

1. Zigzag2

Zigzag2 Guest

swedenrocks
    (3/30/01 7:56:20 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del All .40 S&W
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Just came back from the range, ran through 250 rounds of .40 and two 33rd clips of 9x19!
    Shot the Magtech .180grain, really uncomfortable, had only shot the 155gr Federal Hi-Shok.
    But I managed to control the recoil and could easily hit a head at 25 meters!

The owner of this particular G22 was also surprised by the Magtechs, a G22C had been ordered some weeks ago and will be appreciated! =)

Should he get a .357Sig slide/barrel?
    He said it wasn't optimal to have a compensated .357 due to it's bottleneck design.
    Does the .357 kick for than the .40 in 180gr?
    If you can't take the heat from a 180gr, you should go with a 155gr, but you can't do much with the .357, weight wise! or am I wrong?

Which sights are best, Trijicon or Metropolitan?

Thanks!
    Swede out!

Alphamale
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (4/7/01 6:11:02 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: .40 S&W
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Tell him to get the .357 bbl. It's always nice to have what's basically a different gun around. You only have to change the bbl out, you can use the .40 slide and magzine.

The .357 is a LITTLE snappier and louder than the .40 is, but if you can handle a .40 you should have no problems with the .357. I think(don't quote me on this) that the heaviest weight in a factory loading is 135gr for the .357 Sig.

Lastly, a question. What does the bullet design(bottleneck) have to do with weather or not you comp it? I've been thinking about that, and I honesty don't know the answer. Maybe I read the question wrong. Anybody?
    If guns are outlawed, can we use swords?

shooter45 us
    *Senior Chief Moderator*
    (4/9/01 6:39:46 am)
    Alf, ??????????? Try again. I don't understand the question.

swedenrocks
    (4/9/01 12:24:36 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del .40 S&W
    It wasn't me! =) My friend said you shouldn't comp a .357 casue it's a bottleneck and short barrel? I don't know s*it!
    Think I saw factory loads in .357 with a 150gr bullet! I thought they only made .355 in 124, 135, 147 and 158gr bullets (yes 90gr, yuck)

Does a .45 work better than a .357 in a subcompact Glock? My friend a slow burning .45 load works better than the .357, and I'm asking you guys!

Thanks!
    Swede out!

Alphamale
    (4/9/01 2:59:52 pm)
    glocktalk.com/docs/gtubb/Forum15/HTML/001864.html

That's a link to a lot of chrono data. It should help you figure out if either .45 or .357 loses enough velocity in a subcompact to matter to you or not.

Now, back to the comp. You should be able to comp a .357. The way comps work isn't dealing with ccase design, it deals with exhaust gases at the end of the barrel. So don't see any problems there. May lose some velocity, but not much. OK, hope that answers everything. Ummm-if not go to glocktalk.com and look around. If it's a glock question, it's answered there.

If guns are outlawed, can we use swords?

MPinkston
    (7/16/01 9:42:58 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del .40 S&W
    Sellier & Bellot offers a 357sig with a 140gr bullet which exits the barrel around 1350 fps. No noticable difference in recoil between these and the 125gr speer lawman's I shot last time. Who makes this round in a 150gr???

Edited by: MPinkston at: 7/16/01 10:51:10 pm

Alphamale
    (7/17/01 12:24:14 am)
    Federal HydraShok 150gr, listed at 1130fps and 420ft-lbs
    To run from trouble is foolish, to look for it... even more so