The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the ammo shortage and no cheap 9mm or 45 acp I have started reloading from my stash of supplies. One I love is the 400 Corbon which fits a cheap barrel dropped into a 1911. I took a simply Rock Island 45 dropped in the barrel and heavy spring, added a shock buff and enjoyed it for a while. Later I replaced all the moving parts with stainless so it looks like a custom gun. Got every part on it replaced except for the sights, pending. Now that ammo is short, I pulled out my stash of 40 bullets and empty cases and started the reloading. I was having a hard time finding small pistol primers but I have plenty large ones, so that got me thinking about how much fun it was. Much more fun that the 45 acp, lots of blast and noise, people on the range often come over and ask, what the heck are you shooting?

For those who may not know the 400 Corbon is just a 45 acp necked down to 40 caliber. Cases can be made by simply running a 45 acp case through a sizing die in one simple stroke, or they can be bought from Starline. Factory ammo is only available from a couple companies, I think.

Basically the 400 Corbon is equal to the 10mm with bullets from 135 grain up to about 180 grains. The 10mm is better with the 200 grain bullets. That being said, unless you are hunting, there is no advantage and it is cheap to just form cases from range brass. Mine gets 650 foot pounds with the factory 165 grain ammo, it averages over 1,350 fps. My reloads push 135 grain bullets to 1,400 fps which is pretty hot. So, I am thinking about load them down so I can use the Berry bullets which are supposed to stay under 1,250, so I am looking for a 1,200 fps load.

Anybody still load this caliber and have any suggestions?

·
Registered
292 Posts
Sounds like that would be a fun caliber to load/shoot. I have plenty of new 45ACP to use, and several thousand 135gr frangible bullets to shoot.
Where does one go about getting 400 Corbon barrels?

·
Registered
6,279 Posts
With the ammo shortage and no cheap 9mm or 45 acp I have started reloading from my stash of supplies. One I love is the 400 Corbon which fits a cheap barrel dropped into a 1911. I took a simply Rock Island 45 dropped in the barrel and heavy spring, added a shock buff and enjoyed it for a while. Later I replaced all the moving parts with stainless so it looks like a custom gun. Got every part on it replaced except for the sights, pending. Now that ammo is short, I pulled out my stash of 40 bullets and empty cases and started the reloading. I was having a hard time finding small pistol primers but I have plenty large ones, so that got me thinking about how much fun it was. Much more fun that the 45 acp, lots of blast and noise, people on the range often come over and ask, what the heck are you shooting?

For those who may not know the 400 Corbon is just a 45 acp necked down to 40 caliber. Cases can be made by simply running a 45 acp case through a sizing die in one simple stroke, or they can be bought from Starline. Factory ammo is only available from a couple companies, I think.

Basically the 400 Corbon is equal to the 10mm with bullets from 135 grain up to about 180 grains. The 10mm is better with the 200 grain bullets. That being said, unless you are hunting, there is no advantage and it is cheap to just form cases from range brass. Mine gets 650 foot pounds with the factory 165 grain ammo, it averages over 1,350 fps. My reloads push 135 grain bullets to 1,400 fps which is pretty hot. So, I am thinking about load them down so I can use the Berry bullets which are supposed to stay under 1,250, so I am looking for a 1,200 fps load.

Anybody still load this caliber and have any suggestions?
No, but I have a 10mm that I run the Buffalo Bore 190 gr mono metal dangerous game load which has extreme penetration. That is 190 gr at 1200 fps and 607 ftlbs muzzle energy.

·
Banned
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sounds like that would be a fun caliber to load/shoot. I have plenty of new 45ACP to use, and several thousand 135gr frangible bullets to shoot.
Where does one go about getting 400 Corbon barrels?
Several places sell them, I bought mine from Sarco, I saw them at Midway recently also.
Swenson Semi Drop-In Barrel 1911 400 Cor-Bon 1 16 Twist 5 Government (midwayusa.com)
1911 .400 Cor-bon Barrel 5" - SARCO, Inc
They are cheap, under $60 each place. You will need a heavy spring, they recommend 22 pounds I think, and a shock buff to keep from battering the frame.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Thanks. I went searching the net after I posted. Found several places, including Sarco. Might be a difficult search as the 1911 I would use is an old Charles Daly Officer’s Model. Bull barrel with a reverse bushing/recoil spring plug. I may need to pick up a used GI model for a better chance at this.

·
Banned
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks. I went searching the net after I posted. Found several places, including Sarco. Might be a difficult search as the 1911 I would use is an old Charles Daly Officer’s Model. Bull barrel with a reverse bushing/recoil spring plug. I may need to pick up a used GI model for a better chance at this.
One of the custom barrel makers made 400 Corbon barrels for the officers models but I think they stopped years ago but you might find a used one out there. They were also common in Glocks .and the Ruger model 90 I think, then the fad died. To me it is just too good a design and I love the round. Being bottleneck it is less prone to jam during feeding and is above 357 in power and much more efficient than the 10mm. And brass easy to make, one stroke in the die with a 45 acp and poof, it is done. And it takes any 40 cal bullet. Corbon says not to go above 165 grain bullets, if you need bigger then go to the 10mm.i

I bought the base model 1911 Rock Island, as the platform. I then replaced everything on the gun that moved with stainless steel, beavertail grip, combat hammer, etc. Makes for a good looking custom look gun. However, I spent much more than necessary. The Rock Island is really a quality product I rate equal to my Colts. If doing it over, I would just upgrade to the models with the beavertail and adjustable sights. I now use Rock Island frames for building 1911s. If I was buying a new 1911 to use stock as a carry gun, I would buy one of the stainless Rugers.

With a $60 barrel and a $5 spring and $5 for enough shock buffs to last forever it is a pretty cheap way to have a second caliber in a 1911.

Here is just a sample of velocities and I have confirmed them with Universal. My 5 inch gets 1,380 fps with the 135 grain bullet and 9.0 grains of Universal. I also load a plinking load with a 155 grain cast with 8 grains of Unique for 1,264 fps. That is about the same as most 4 inch barreled 357 mags will do.
135 grain JHP (COR®BON, Speer or Hornady)
HS-6 12.5 gr. 1,350 MAXIMUM
WAP 10.0 gr. 1,260 (start)
WAP 11.0 gr. 1,400 MAXIMUM
Universal 8.2 gr. 1,260 (start)
Universal 9.0 gr. 1,400 MAXIMUM
150-155 grain JHP (COR®BON, Speer or Hornady)
WAP 9.8 gr. 1,225 (start)
WAP 10.5 gr. 1,310 MAXIMUM
AA No. 7 13.0 gr. 1,250 (start)
AA No. 7 14.0 gr. 1,300 MAXIMUM
-----------------------------------------
165 grain JHP (COR®BON, Speer or Hornady)
V N105 10.5 gr. 1,125 FPS (start)
V N105 11.2 gr. 1,250 MAXIMUM
WSF 7.6 gr. 1,050 (start)
WSF 8.2 gr. 1,150 MAXIMUM
AA No. 5 9.0 gr. 1,025 (start)
AA No. 5 10.0 gr. 1,200 MAXIMUM
-----------------------------------------

Reloading .400 Cor®Bon Page (reloadammo.com)

If you try it please post your impressions. Warning, you are nearly doubling the power of your 45, recoil is much more and muzzle blast is significant. LOL

1 - 6 of 6 Posts