4064 or Varget?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Guest, Feb 24, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

tmski
    (3/11/02 2:10:06 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del All 4064 or Varget?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I just purchased a .338-06JDJ from SSK Industries. The load data sent with the barrel states that you can use 4064 with a 200 gr Hornady bullet and the grains show 60.0 to 61.5 of powder. Varget is right next to this load on the powder burn scale and I really like using this powder for reloading. A friend stated that it can be substituted safely. He has a lot of reloading experience and I trust him, but when looking at the Hornady book, the maximum load used for .338-06 is around 54 grains of the same powder. I realize that the JDJ is a totally different round, but it is similar and as a minimum load starting 6 grains higher, I am hesitant to use the Varget powder over the 4064, especially during the initial fireforming of the casings for the new barrel. My friend states that I should not worry and just start the load with 60 grains. Since the powder is one off on the burn scales, would they have the same pressures while buring or can the pressure change considerably? Can anyone give me a second opinion since I am so inexperienced at reloading.

tuckerd1
    *TFF Staff*
    (3/11/02 6:25:47 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: 4064 or Varget?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Welcome tmski! We have several experts in rifle reloading. They'll be along shortly.
    "They that can give up essential Liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither Liberty nor safety." (...Benjamin Franklin, 1759)

kdub01
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/11/02 9:57:08 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: 4064 or Varget?
    Varget is a slower burning powder than IMR 4064. You will be safe in substituting it for the 4064. Start your loading 10% below the starting load listed by JDJ and work up a grain at a time. Varget is a good powder - temprature insensitive and burns cleanly. IMR 4064 has been around since dirt was new and is a fine powder for 30-06 loadings.

tmski
    (3/11/02 10:40:51 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del 4064 or varget?
    Thanks for the info on the Varget. I feel a lot better with a second opinion!

WyomingSwede
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/17/02 8:39:35 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: 4064 or varget?
    I have been extremely happy with Reloader 19 in my 338-06. Meters much better than 4064. You might want to look at 4831SC also.
    Wyoming Swede