The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I get this(shown in circle) when I chamber my reloaded rounds into my XDM .40, wondering if it is normal....doesn't happen on factory FMJ rounds.
These are Berrys Plated bullets, 155gr, with a COL of 1.12.
It seems to chamber fine, but am unsure what the nick/dent is from and what it's touching in the gun to get it.
Brown Yellow Orange Amber Tan

thanks

-
T

·
Registered
69 Posts
Todd5250, I have had similar 'dings' on reloads, usually hasn't been a problem unless it occurred where the bullet meets the case. It has usually led to feeding problems. I can only guess that the ding is happening from the magazine into the loading ramp. Once the load is into the loading ramp I can't see where a ding like that would occur. It may be that all the loads are taking a bump but the softer lead in the Berry's is letting it show.
You might play with seating a little deeper and see if it still happens. I don't have calipers here (they are at my Dad's) but I have to seat all my 40's not to exceed 2.84 mm's. Not sure how close that is to your 1.12 inches. If it continues but no feeding or accuracy problems, I guess just pass it off. Good luck

·
Registered
745 Posts
looks like it may be hitting the bottom edge of the loading ramp,,, try manually cycling the slide slowly and watch the bullet as it moves into the chamber,,, if it is the ramp a bit of chamfering the edge should fix it,, if u were shooting long range for accuracy it could cause flyers but for defense or plinking it should be ok,,

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
You may resolve this with a slight change in OAL, but remember you are shooting thin plated lead. A jacketed bullet would not do this.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Sounds like your loads should be ok in your XDm. I load 180gr Berry's RSFP at a COL of 1.130" +/- .001. Do your rounds pass the "Plunk" test in your chamber. If so you should be ok. These dents could be coming from the feed ramp. It doesn't take much to dent Berry's bullets. I have dropped bullets on the ground, and put some nasty dents in them.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: 40S&W Pic and Question(update)

Thanks for all the insight...I made a batch of 5 and fired them off. None of the brass ejected, they hung up sideways like there wasn't enough powder in the load to cycle the gun. I had to pull the slide back and let the spent cartridge fall out...no biggie since I only loaded one at a time in the magazine in case this happened.
So, looks like I need to up my starting load....how much do I go up at a time? .2 until it functions correctly?
As stated in the top of the thread these were Berrys plated 155gr/5.1 grains of Win231/OAL 1.125-1.126

thanks

-
T

·
Registered
745 Posts
Re: 40S&W Pic and Question(update)

Thanks for all the insight...I made a batch of 5 and fired them off. None of the brass ejected, they hung up sideways like there wasn't enough powder in the load to cycle the gun. I had to pull the slide back and let the spent cartridge fall out...no biggie since I only loaded one at a time in the magazine in case this happened.
So, looks like I need to up my starting load....how much do I go up at a time? .2 until it functions correctly?
As stated in the top of the thread these were Berrys plated 155gr/5.1 grains of Win231/OAL 1.125-1.126

thanks

-
T
looks like a good load to me,, 231 is a good powder, it is light load but should function,, some guns have a heavier recoil spring then others,,try 5.3 and see if it cycles the slide better, just dont try too large a change go in small steps , some times just trial and error to get it where u want it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks oldfartrr...I loaded 10 rounds at 5.4 and they cycled just like they were made for it. Can't really say for accuracy until the wind dies down and it warms up just a bit, brutal cold wind today but I had to go out into the desert and try them out, it was killing me not knowing.:eek:

-
T

·
Premium Member
3,350 Posts
If it is hitting the bottom of the loading it could be that your plated bullet is as soft as lead where the jacketed ones are much harder. Plated and lead dings easier.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.