The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to load some 40SW. I have the Lyman pistol and revolver book but I wanted to see what powder most people like. I would like to find a powder that would work with both the 40 and 9mm. Does anyone use the Hodgdon universal.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
I use Power Pistol, it is on the slower side, but extremely accurate and clean with 9mm. 40 is pressure sensitive and spikish, hence I choose to use a tad slower powder and very moderate to minimum charges.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
universal is good as is reg clays extra clean but my favorite has been titegroup lately.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I use Hodgdon Universal for my .40's. I use Titegroup for the 9mm.

Universal has been very dependable for me.

·
Banned
2,751 Posts
I want to load some 40SW. I have the Lyman pistol and revolver book but I wanted to see what powder most people like. I would like to find a powder that would work with both the 40 and 9mm. Does anyone use the Hodgdon universal.
You will get many different responses to your question. One way to narrow it down a bit is to tell us what you intend to shoot. Light to medium target loads, heavy SD loads, lead bullets, jacketed bullets, plated bullets?

·
Registered
117 Posts
I personally use HP 38 in all my pistol ammo.

But then again I am not super educated in all the differences in gun powder yet

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
Rainier ballistics bulk pistol bullets are all I've used for years. They make good hollowpoints also that are only a few bucks more per/1000 pack, killed a deer with one out of my G23 two years ago, they WORK!

haven't seen anything cheaper than Rainiers, most places around here carry them.

165gn RNFP (FMJ) and 165gn HP is what I use in my .40's, 4.0-4.3gns of clays or titegroup.

·
Banned
2,751 Posts
Rainier ballistics bulk pistol bullets are all I've used for years. They make good hollowpoints also that are only a few bucks more per/1000 pack, killed a deer with one out of my G23 two years ago, they WORK!

haven't seen anything cheaper than Rainiers, most places around here carry them.

165gn RNFP (FMJ) and 165gn HP is what I use in my .40's, 4.0-4.3gns of clays or titegroup.
Sorry aa, but I have to disagree with you on the use of TG in the 40.
IMO TG is an "Experts" powder and should be avoided by beginners. It is very fast and has a small window from start to max. It has been know to get "squirrelly" (technical term) when pushed to the upper end. A double charge is very difficult to spot and it could most certainly run your day. Do the Google on KB in the 40. You may find that TG was the powder of choice for most of the 40 KBs.

It also burns very hot, so hot that some bullet manufactures recommend against it's use with their bullets.

IMO a slower medium burner would be a better choice, especially for a beginner.

·
Super Moderator
28,080 Posts
I use Universal in my 9mm, 38's 40's and 357's. I like it, it burns quite clean.

·
Super Moderator
41,401 Posts
I also use titegroup in the .40 S&W except I load mine with 5.0 grains behind a 155 grain Berry's bullet. I was just looking through my reloading log and see that I have used AA#5 and AA#7 in them also. I have used only TG in the past two yeas.

Steve, I really can't see the difference in being an "Expert" loader or a beginner. If you follow the manual then it should not matter how long you have been reloading.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
I use power pistol in both 9mm and .40 S&W. I use 5.8 gr for 115 gr FMj 9mm and 5.8 gr for 180 FMJ .40. It works well with both. The 5.8gr. load is a medium load for both cartridges and is safe, accurate, clean, and simplifies the loading process. I don't have to recalibrate the powder measure each time I change calibers just check the weight.

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
In my experience with the .40 i found BlueDot to be the most consistent.. Its been a good while since I quit loading the .40 but Im thinkin I was using somewhere around 10 gr with a 155 gr bullet and 8 gr with a 180 grainer. I recall muzzle flash being just as spectacular as the accuracy too.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
if you follow the recipe, you won't have any issues with TG, but worth noting to be extra careful/aware of the issues with it.

(matter of fact, my glockaboom was with titegroup, but that was before I got the redding GRx die and was pushing max loads like an idiot)

loaded a bunch of 165gn with 4.0 gns clays today, working through a 1000 pack of rainiers as we speak...

last batch I did with 4.3 gns but I went back to my old faithful load of 4.0 for extra safety margin, these are just plinkers anyway. The deer I took with this load was 4.0 also, plenty of oomph.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Helped my son Set up the press for the first time and loaded 10 rounds of 40 using Universal and Berry's 155gn bullets. Loaded 5 with 5.5gn and 5 with 5.6gn. The 5.5 is listed by Hodgdon for a starting load for Universal and Berry's 155 gn Fp. Both loads cycled the gun just fine and the cases did not show any sign of over pressure. I plan to load some more at 5.5 grains and do some target shooting to see how they do now that I know they cycle the gun OK. They seemed to feel about like the UMC factory ammo that I shot to compare.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
just FYI, the hodgon manual is HOT, look at other load data and you will see the hodgon's recipes FAR exceed many others maximums. Just a thought. Use care when using only Hodgon recipes.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My son made a comment that the recoil felt like his XDs 45 with the 5.5 grain load (Hodgdon starting point). Should I back it down to 5.3 or so? I did not see any signs of over pressure but we are new to this. I have read quite a lot of info before we made these loads but I did not know the Hodgdon data was hot. I want to come up with a good safe load before I have to leave here and go back home on the 1st. Thanks for the info!

·
Banned
2,751 Posts
Speer lists a start charge of 6.2gr and a Max charge of 7.0gr, so I wouldn't say your Hodgdon data is running hot with Universal. Yur fine at 5.5gr, shoot it and enjoy.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts