The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
.41 Magnum I'll assume?

Start with whatever choices that your reloading manual has listed. Hodgdon has a few 215gr cast lead loads on their website http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp

For cast lead, keep your velocity around the 1000fps mark or under to reduce the barrel leading.

A friend of mine uses Titegroup for 245gr cast lead loads in the .41Mag.
Some here have suggested TrailBoss as a good powder for large-bore revolver cast lead loads I haven't used it myself though.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I've probably put 40,000 rounds of .41 magnum through two different guns; so many that one got completely rebuilt by Smith and Wesson. I've used a bunch of different powders in both cast and jacketed. To get the most out of the cartridge you will need to shoot jacketed. My favorite is the Sierra 170 gr. Power Jacket loaded with a max charge of WW296.

For cast I've loaded 5.0 gr. of Bullseye for a nice soft load, 8.0 gr. of Unique for a midrange load, 12.0 gr. of Blue Dot for high end loads all with a 210-215 gr. cast bullet. Clays is good, Red Dot; both around 6.0 gr. 2400 is outstanding with a 210 or 220 gr. jacketed bullet with a pretty broad range to work with. A magnum primer is a good idea for the slower burning powders like Blue Dot, 2400 and especially 296.

·
Registered
102 Posts
My standard cast bullet load has been 210 grain Keth style SWC over 8 grains of unique. Not a hot load...but not a "puffer" either. As "bindernut" said, always consult a good loading manual and work up to what you want..
.................Don

1 - 5 of 5 Posts