.41 Mag. 170 Gr. lead recipe?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by SmokeEater2, Apr 16, 2009.

1. SmokeEater2

SmokeEater2 New Member

Hello everyone,I've searched and can not come up with a load for the 500 170 grain Penn lead SWC's I have. These are for a Ruger Black Hawk and a Marlin 1894 FG. My original intention when I bought them was for a light plinking load.
    I did contact Penn bullets and they replied that they did not have a load for these either. Anyone load these? :confused:

2. army mp

army mp Member

First off are you absolutely positive these bullets are 170 Gr, I would weigh and mike them. I started with my Lyman cast bullet book. And the 6 other books I have Lee. Hornady ,Hodgdon and three other Lyman books none have bullets that light in 41 rem, mag. The lightest 41 Mag I could find was 200 Gr. SWC And it was listed as Linotype, which makes a harder but lighter bullet than Lyman #2 . if you find that it is .410 diameter. I would call the manufacturer. I would guess if they are going to produce an odd bullet they will have load data for it.

3. SmokeEater2

SmokeEater2 New Member

Thanks for the reply army mp,I have weighed and miked them and they are .410 and 170 gr. here's the link to the Penn bullets page for .41 Mag. bullets.
    http://www.pennbullets.com/41/41-caliber.html I see that they have suspended production of this weight temporarily. I did contact Penn and their reply was that they had no load data for this bullet weight.

4. army mp

army mp Member

I did more research on these bullets myself. And as you said they are .410 and 170 Gr, that being said , these bullets are not meant for the 41 Mag, these were developed for the 41 Action express. An ACP round. I would be very suspicious, if anyone did come up with a load using this bullet in 41Mag. If it were me. I would chock it up to experience. And try to sell them. I am not saying they can’t be loaded just they would be more trouble than they are worth.

5. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

The current Sierra Manual lists several loads for a jacketed bullet in 170 gr. It's a JHC and the lightest load lists 1250 fps which could cause some serious leading in your BBL if they aren't cast hard enough.

I'd contact Hodgdon and see if they have any suggestions for a load with their Trail Boss Powder.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2009
  6. SmokeEater2

SmokeEater2 New Member

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.