The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have any of you shot a 444 marlin in a 410 shotgun? I've seen it done with an old Brazil made 410 and the barrel was checked with a micrometer before and after. No change in the muzzle size. I have a new Iver Johnson 410 and I thought I'd ask around before I tried it. Of course I was going to put the 410 in a vise and pull the trigger with a string the first few times. Any advice or warnings?

·
Super Moderator
27,446 Posts
No. You want to fire a high pressure rifle cartridge in a shotgun? Good way to blow up something. I have fire formed 444 in a 410. But that's a different story.

Reactions: Alaska444

·
Junior Advanced Senior Member In Training
7,450 Posts
Just because a pistol looks like a hammer, doesn't mean you should use it for one. For me, I believe I would be just looking for trouble using a any firearm for uses not intended. Shrapnel can go a loooooong way.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No. You want to fire a high pressure rifle cartridge in a shotgun? Good way to blow up something. I have fire formed 444 in a 410. But that's a different story.
Thanks for the advice.

Just because a pistol looks like a hammer, doesn't mean you should use it for one. For me, I believe I would be just looking for trouble using a any firearm for uses not intended. Shrapnel can go a loooooong way.
Yea, you are probably right!

Because I don't have the money to buy a 444.

·
Super Moderator
27,446 Posts
The 444 is not much more than a shoulder thumper.

Reactions: crystalphoto

·
Super Moderator
40,702 Posts
The pressure of a .444 is 44,000 cup and the pressure of a .410 is 13,500 psi. I don't know how to figure the difference in c.u.p and p.s.i, but putting a .444 Marlin into a .410 shotgun sounds like the makings of a grenade that could hurt or kill you and innocent bystanders.

·
Super Moderator
27,446 Posts
If you are looking for something to hunt with get some slugs for that 410. Better yet get a used rifle. What you are asking could be very dangerous.
This.

Or find a gun shop that had a lay-away program. That's how I buy most of my guns.

Reactions: joe45c

·
Registered
6,028 Posts
Yeah, but he wants to shoot your favorite round through a .410 shotgun.
Nope, not good. He should look for a 45 LC and shoot away. Marlin and other lever action rifles offer this and shouldn't be much more than a shotgun.

·
Registered
10,029 Posts
Stop and think, what does the Judge use?? 410/45 long colt.
It's a lot easier on the Judges barrel to shoot a .410 diameter charge of shot through a .452 diameter hole than it will be to try to force a .44 slug at 44,000 cup through a .410 diameter hole. Just because it fits into a hole it isn't supposed to be fired from does not mean you can pull the trigger without risk to you, the gun and anybody within range of the shrapnel.

·
Premium Member
7,579 Posts
Before you shoot any slugs or bullets in that .410, what's the choke?

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
Even shooting .45 Colt in a .410 shotgun is idiotic!
Why can't people understand this? There's even a recommendation to do so in this thread!

Don't shoot ANYTHING in a .410 besides the proper .410 ammunition. If you can't understand why, here is the reason- IT'S DANGEROUS!

·
Registered
5,393 Posts
>410 is a caliber not a guage-so a .44 projectile through a .41 caliber hole somehow doesn't sound right.

·
Super Moderator
27,446 Posts
Even shooting .45 Colt in a .410 shotgun is idiotic!
Why can't people understand this? There's even a recommendation to do so in this thread!

Don't shoot ANYTHING in a .410 besides the proper .410 ammunition. If you can't understand why, here is the reason- IT'S DANGEROUS!
This, ×1,000.

Reactions: joe45c
1 - 20 of 26 Posts