The Firearms Forum banner

61 - 76 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
The 410 I have now came with a modified choke tube. It’s the first 410 I’ve owned that came with a changeable choke. I think my old Springfield bolt action, might have had a full choke, but I can’t say for sure.

This new one seems to open up a little more than that old Springfield. But I have no way to prove that. I will pick up a full choke tube and see if it makes that much difference on a 410.

My 410 weighs 4 ½ pounds, my 20g about 5 ½ and my 12g pump comes in a little over 7 pounds. It’s one reason I love the 410.

·
Premium Member
19,203 Posts
I have seen folks at my club shoot trap with a 410. None good. Most trap hits are at 30 or 40 yards from the 16. A friend who is 94 years old uses a 28 gauge as it is all he can hold up. He can hit 15 out of 25 on a good day.

On the other hand, some of the women shoot 20 gauges and do pretty good. I consider 20 gauge the minimum for trap.

Reactions: tedwitt

·
Registered
32 Posts
Like many of you, I started hunting some 60 years ago. Started with a Daisy BB gun on snakes and small birds walking the swamp leveys around New Orleans where I spent my youth. After moving to Oklahoma. I was taken under the wing of my Jr High School football coach and taught the art of Quail hunting using his H&R Topper 410 single shot. He drilled into me the concept of shot placement. One Shot, One Kill, that I have never forgotten. Over the years I have owned many 410s most single shots, and have never had any problem bringing down anything I pulled the trigger on. From a squirrel, or a bird to a whitetail deer. You put the right load in a 410, with careful shot placement at an appropriate distance and you have meat on the table. Not to mention their ability for home defense at the close range of a normal living room, I would hate to be on the receiving end of even a 1/2 ounce of #8's much less the 4... 32 caliber black powder round balls that I have loaded in mine that spread 5 inches at 10 feet.

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
The 410 I have now came with a modified choke tube. It’s the first 410 I’ve owned that came with a changeable choke. I think my old Springfield bolt action, might have had a full choke, but I can’t say for sure.

This new one seems to open up a little more than that old Springfield. But I have no way to prove that. I will pick up a full choke tube and see if it makes that much difference on a 410.

My 410 weighs 4 ½ pounds, my 20g about 5 ½ and my 12g pump comes in a little over 7 pounds. It’s one reason I love the 410.
My Hatfield single shot has a modified choke, I had to contact Hatfield to figure that out as there was no indication on the firearm or any of the paper work. It weighs the same as your 20g. I really should pattern it at some point , I mean a proper patterning not just shooting a couple paper plates at 50 feet. Ive only taken a couple grouse with this particular gun so I still have 23 rounds left.

·
Premium Member
1,055 Posts
I may have to get me that S/W Governor, that would make a fine snake gun.
Ted, I think the S&W Governor is the better gun plus you get one extra round at no extra cost.
Larry

Reactions: tedwitt

·
Registered
37 Posts
My Hatfield single shot has a modified choke, I had to contact Hatfield to figure that out as there was no indication on the firearm or any of the paper work. It weighs the same as your 20g. I really should pattern it at some point , I mean a proper patterning not just shooting a couple paper plates at 50 feet. Ive only taken a couple grouse with this particular gun so I still have 23 rounds left.
Mine is a Stevens 301, it takes a Winchoke style choke tube. I'll have to order one online, local stores don't carry any tubes for a 410.

I've been shooting slugs thru it at 1/2 g milk cartons & 2 liter pop containers. I like to watch them explode and it does make for fun target practice.

·
Registered
8 Posts
After Purchasing a 20 Gauge shockwave and shooting it for about six months, I started to realize that I would be much better off if I purchased the 410 instead!

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
If i had some paper hulls I'd load up some .410 BP loads. Why? one would ask. Why for the fun of it of course.

·
Premium Member
9,331 Posts
Don’t think a paper hull is necessary. What do ya think about cutting off the crimp, use a cereal box for the cards and maybe part of a cotton ball for the wad?

61 - 76 of 76 Posts